Could some kind of "super seat" be made for heads...

Mydogisshaggy

So my idea is would it be beneficial in the EFI or carb head to basically make a valve seat that is way larger than a typical one, basically changing the whole chamber shape and flow and velocity, the idea occured to me maybe there is an instance to use shorter valves although you would get less lift? A camshaft could help a bit but if there were applications where a shorter valve makes better flow overall coupled with the "super seat" with a crazy amount of angles maybe like 9. I'm not exactly how it would be installed but similar to bronze or other seats I imagine even though the thickness could pose a challenge maybe use a 3d printer and make multiple pieces on top each other. Of what material idk maybe that's just for the model phase to reproduce. Thoughts?

While we're at it, how come we don't make a whole sleeve for the throat down to the bowl.. I guess material thickness would hamper things and it's not totally needed just a thought. I just imagined something I'll find a pic..

Like the Kaase MEL?
Actually never heard of that but what I had envisioned was not extending the chamber out like this (I wasn't smart enough to envision that working) mine was more or less like a normal valve seat but way bigger lol and than I added the sleeve portion to extend down into the throat but immediately realized it's probably not worth it unless you really needed some kind of special coating or resistance to high heat or nitrous or something. But the super seat idea I still like.

The idea being that you just hog out the throat and seat to as much as possible before breaking through and replacing it with the new seat/insert that has all the angles worked in without worrying about ruining the head basically. Also might be easier for a machine to cnc without the whole head but just the seat itself and than pressed and /or cold welded in somehow? Maybe even threaded with a permanent type loctite. But basically like the MEL engine but instead of the whole chamber you just make the seats

My advice is to buy or build a flow bench. It doesn’t have to be fancy or even give you measurement in CFM. From there you will be able to test where the limits of a valve job will be and the effects of modifying the combustion chamber.

The flow bench I built only cost a few hundred dollars. For me the ability to test an idea is priceless.

Last edited:
Back