"Brush sound-swoosh swoosh" from engine during acceleration

lowrustbkt

1963 Comet w/ a 70's 200ci. (4"/3-5" drop if it matters)

So recently I thought my DS front shoe was slightly dragging cause I was hearing that "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound from worn out pads but I just did the front brakes a month ago. (shoes, not drums yet). I then realized this morning that I only hear the sound when I'm accelerating, soon as my foot is off the pedal it's quiet, it does get faster with speed up to about 35-40mph then I can't hear it but it could just be too fast or my engine is too loud.

I know this is vague and I'll try to record a video tomorrow, just not easy since I only hear it while driving.

Besides that, the only other thing I think to mention, is that when the engine is cold I hear a little belt whine for the first 30 seconds - 1 min. Not belt slipping/squealing just a rpm whine. Been meaning to check the belts just haven't had a chance.

Any info would be great guys!

And my dirty ride:
Since some will probably comment on it, I'm slowly striping the paint to bare metal then clearing it. Someone decided to spray over the original paint w/ rattle can flat black and painted over most of the trim too. I'm slowly fixing those mistakes.

I was not able to tell much from your recording. If you just did new brake shoes it can take a few miles of use for the shoes to wear into the drums (bed them in). However if the drums are old or have not been turned / trued (and if they are not already over size) they can be out of round (egg shaped. This happens to rear drums especially due to the drums being hot and the parking brake set excessively tight. The out of round drums can make that type of sound you described and you can also feel it when you apply the brakes the peddle will bounce slightly up and down the fix is to turn the drums or if the drums are oversize already then you will need to replace them. Other things to check is if the fan belt in good condition and adjusted properly? Are your fan blades nice and straight and do they turn true? Ie When looking from the side there should be no walbel of the fan tips. The water pump and Gen. or Alternator front bearings (they can be loose or make a grinding noise). Try removing the fan belt and checking the water pump bearing for looseness or grinding do the same for the Gen. / Alt. Next try operating the car for just long enough to tell if it is quieter then reinstall the belt. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":22nbz9bp said:
I was not able to tell much from your recording. If you just did new brake shoes it can take a few miles of use for the shoes to wear into the drums (bed them in). However if the drums are old or have not been turned / trued (and if they are not already over size) they can be out of round (egg shaped. This happens to rear drums especially due to the drums being hot and the parking brake set excessively tight. The out of round drums can make that type of sound you described and you can also feel it when you apply the brakes the peddle will bounce slightly up and down the fix is to turn the drums or if the drums are oversize already then you will need to replace them. Other things to check is if the fan belt in good condition and adjusted properly? Are your fan blades nice and straight and do they turn true? Ie When looking from the side there should be no walbel of the fan tips. The water pump and Gen. or Alternator front bearings (they can be loose or make a grinding noise). Try removing the fan belt and checking the water pump bearing for looseness or grinding do the same for the Gen. / Alt. Next try operating the car for just long enough to tell if it is quieter then reinstall the belt. Good luck :nod:

I'll definitely check all of those things out, what is throwing me off is that I only hear it slightly at idle and acceleration. I figured if it was brake related I would hear it all the time. But I'll start checking on Friday.

Thanks

Do you have a flex fan, they make a noise when you bring up the rpms from idle.
However since you mention the noise starts when placed into drive are the converter bolts at the flexplate hitting the starter nose. The flexplate moves as a load is put on it???

Back