Big v8 bell on C4?

mach1 mark

Ok without looking to ignorant, let me ask, can a 66' v8 (289) c4 bell housing, low starter, fit on a dual pattern 200?

The reason for asking is I can't find a cheap high performance (high stall) torque converter for the 200. The v8 converter is about $150 and the bell is $10. Change out the grear in the starter and add a $30 flex plate and there you have it. But has anyone done this, will it work?

Or is there a company that makes a high performance torque converter. I have asked this question in the past and the response has been to get it special made. Has this changed?

The short answer is 'no'. The dual pattern blocks are still different then the small block Ford pattern. The later ('80-83) 200 blocks with the 'big bell' pattern can be made to work because they share a lot of the same bolt spacing as the SBF but they are the only 200 blocks that can be made to work.

-ron

Oh, now I get it. Everyone kept speaking about the "big bell", I thought that it was the 289 big bell, Oh well the bell looks like it would fit, but guess not.

Does anyone reproduce a high performance torque converter for the "small bell" C4? :LOL:

I had a custom converter make a couple summers ago for the Geezer, which was a 3500 stall. So far, its worked fine, or at least he hasn't complained about it yet. ;)

Unfortunately, I can remember what it cost, but it was pretty reasonable if I remember correctly. I've been wanting to do more, but can't until I start recouping the money I have tied up in the aluminum heads and intakes. Or sell one of my stangs.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get on them later this spring and have them by early or mid summer. I'm just not sure what stall ranges to shoot for? Any sugestions from you guys, as to what you'd like to see.

Mike, I think that's great. What does geezer have. 3500 seem about right to me. Im installing a blueprinted 200 w/272 cam, Assie head w/large valves (sorry Mike about that, I bought the head about two years ago, I'd love one of yours) DUI, Holly 500, headers, and 3.25 rear end.

Whatever you produce I would make it go with a mild cam (272 maybe to much?) and go w/that new head. 3500 seems correct?

Heck, I don't know what I need as far as stall, maybe someone can chime in.

Back