Autolite 2100 and Holley 2300

A

Anonymous

Anybody know the differences in the two carburetors? Need to know for adapting purposes. :D

-Chris

uhm they have different cfm ratings. :)

They have the same bolt pattern though if thats what your lookin for.

Well I sort of figured they had different CFM ratings :oops: but I wasn't sure about bolt patterns.

Does anyone know the difference is between Holley 5200 and 2300?

Different bolt patterns...and

5200 is progressive and 2300 is both bbls at once.

The Autolite / Motorcraft 2100 is available in 3 versions. The number on the float bowl identifies them. The 1.08 (280 cfm) and the 1.14 (320 cfm) are the best choices for these engines. I am told that jets are hard to get so if you don't like what you get it is hard to fix. However, users seem to like them. The Holley 2300 is available in 2 versions, a 350 cfm and a 500 cfm. Easy to get parts for and very tunable. These carbs have the same base and will mount on the same adapter. Neither is progressive. Drivability and low rpm torque are tied to intake air velocity. Volume / flow is more important at high rpm's However, the 200 six can't use more than 230 cfm at 5000 rpm assuming 80% VE. So, unless you are doing major head work and using a hipo cam I would go with the high velocity carb.

The Holley 5200 (270 cfm) will not fit on the same adapter. The bolt pattern is very different. The plus with the Holley / Weber series is the fact you can get flow to 320 cfm (Weber DGE) in a progressive carb. The best of both worlds. High velocity (good mileage) in the low rpm ranges and all the cfm you could need when you want it. This carbs are easy to get parts for and very tunable.

Howdy Chris and all:

Steve has covered the question quite well. Let me add a few more facts and details.

Holleys are still available as a new carb. Autolites are no longer being produced. Holleys are very tuneable. Autolites are tuneable to a point. Neither has an easily accessible idle curcuit. It you're in the ball park with the low seed air idle screw, great! if not, the fix is not an easy one. Both have rebuild kits, cheap and easily available.

IMHO Autolite holds three distinct advantages over Holley. They are; no gasket seam below the fuel level, two bowl vents, eight different sizes/cfm ratings ranging from .98 venturi rated at 190 cfm used on late '60s 221 V8s to 1.33 venturi rated at 424 cfm used on 390 V8 truck engines.

Both use the same mounting configuration and linkage orientation.

The disadvantages for Autolites are the hot air/ vacuum pull off automatic choke system and the fact that parts new are very scarce. Best source for parts is the salvage yard.

We've used 1.08s on both a modified 200 and a 250 mounted directly to a modified intake with good results. I have a 1.21" Autolite rated at 351 cfm and a 350 cfm Holley on the bench and plan to do a back-to-back performance comparison some day.

The Pony Carburetors, Inc. Ford Carburetor Guide is a great source for this information.

Adios, David

David,

I wanted to go with the Autolite primary because of the hot air/ vacuum pull off automatic choke system. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but that's not good? I like the auto choke on my current Carter YF. Call me crazy but it works well (minus the problems with adjustment screws :unsure: ).

The more I read this reply the more I think I am misunderstanding you :D .

-Chris

Howdy back Stang200:

Let me explain myself. I don't like the Autolite/Ford hot air pull off choke system in comparison to the Holley electric system.

The reason is the hot air usually comes from the exhaust manifold unfiltered. Crude gets sucked into the choke and carb systems and tends to foul things up. Later models have an electric/hot air system that seems to work better. Some replace the whole auto choke for a manual system eliminating the problem.

I've modified my 1.08 to work pretty well with only the electric choke system functioning and the hot air source capped off.

I hope that clears up the misunderstanding

Adios, David

I see, that makes sense :D . I think I'm going to rethink my choke option again. I really never thought of it that way.

Thanks!

-Chris ;)

Let me add one more plus to the Autolite column. All of them have annular discharge venturis which have better atomization than the Holley.

Not sure I COMPLETELY understand that Jack but I get the point. ;)

The mrs says it sounds kind of kinky. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

-Chris[/quote]

HOwdy:

Careful Chris- That's annular- not anal.

Thanks for the reminder Jack, I slipped that detail.

Adios, David

1 PLUS FOR THE HOLLEY IS THEY MAKE A NICE SHINY CHROME VERSION!! :D :D

PLUS,
NON STICK GASKETS
JET ASSORTMENT KITS
DIFFERENT SIZE POWER VALVES
DIFFERENT ACCELERATOR PUMP CAMS
QUICK CHANGE JET KITS
MANUEL OR ELECTRIC CHOKES
PLASTIC OR METAL FLOATS
ASSORTED SIZES OF ACCELERATOR PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLES
30CC OR 50CC ACCELERATOR PUMPS

AND THE FINAL ADVANTAGE IS THAT EVERY AUTO PARTS STORE IN AMERICA KEEPS PARTS IN STOCK FOR THEM ;) :LOL: :LOL:

LATER,

DOUG

Back