Any Fenton 223 split exhaust out there?

A

Anonymous

Posted in the Wanted section, hope I'm not breakin the rules, just thought I might get better audience here. Lookin 4 PN#H-330 Cast iron split exhaust manifold. Thx. Jim

man, fenton manifolds... i wish ya a lotta luck, i truly do. i have only seen two of those setups not bolted to an engine...one on ebay, the other at a swapmeet. the one on ebay went for stupid money, and the one at the swap was just plane off the hook for price.

i know its a lot more work, but have you thought about finding someone who welds cast iron and buying another manifold and make your own split exhaust?

Yeah, I saw a book on e-bay, for $6.50, that tells how to do it. Its a 4-2 split, instead of 3-3. And the Fenton is just so....elegant. Its such a sweet set-up. I saw the one on e-bay, went for $1100, and yeah, it had the barker hi-lift set-up, 3 carbs and an intake, etc. but all that is easy to find, and not that expensive. Thats where I 1st saw the Fenton set-up. So much better than any of the other headers available, and just what I need for my set-up. Afraid makin my own just wouldn't do for what I need. How much did the guy at the swap meet want? Jim

Back in the 50s(my teen years), none of us could afford headers, and those of us who had I6 engines just split the exhaust 2-4. Distinctive sound and was reasonable cheap.
Fred

I have a unique application, and I really need a Fenton, to make it work. Exhaust manifold has to be RAM air-like, with smooth curves rather than 90 angle turns, legs have to be (as close as practical) eaqual length, and as short as practical. None of the aftermarket headers I've seen is close to working, and the stock has 90 degree bends. Only the Fenton, or a header made with pipe to copy the layout of the Fenton would work, but I'm not sure you can bend pipe like that.So, if anyone sees one in a swap meet, get the sellers contact info to me, please? Jim

Divco, so you're looking for one of these:

223fenton001.jpg

223fenton010.jpg

223fenton009.jpg

I'm not sure what you are really up to, but that one goes with this:

223fenton002.jpg

And together they would look like this:

223fenton003.jpg

Of course, if a guy was going to use those, it would be really slick to have this to go with them:

223fenton005.jpg

And together it would all look like this:

223fenton004.jpg

Then just for the heck of it a guy might want to use these, all of them at once or just on the intakes:

223fenton008.jpg

And together then all that would look like this:

223fenton007.jpg

But then a guy might have an Edmunds dual intake and an Edmunds finned valve cover sitting around and might want use half the high lift rockers on that engine. (Pictures for another day.)

I actually have this wonderful stuff and can't wait to use it on something special. Oh, it is (technically) for sale but it would take some seriously serious money to make me part with it. Mainly because I know if I sell it I will likely never see the whole kit and kaboodle again for any price. The intake and valve cover are unused, the exhaust has been used some, the rockers are obviously brand-new in the box.

"Stupid" money is only stupid when you don't have the parts in your possession. When you do it's a different story. I didn't get them for nothing that's for sure. But there was no way I was going to tell the gentleman I didn't want them, I love this old stuff. I already knew he does not negotiate. The stuff he has is virtually non-existant, he knows it, end of story.

I just thought you guys would like to see this stuff. I don't get tired of looking at it myself.

Roger

Roger, You are an unmitigated show off! Good taste, but still. Wait a minute, I have to clean the drool off my screen so I can see the pictures...er, I mean what I'm posting!
Actually, My set of Barker hi-lifts came without instructions. Any chance you could post or pm what they say to me? I'm not interested in the cover, although its pretty, and for intake I'm looking at the Clifford rams horn.
For the exhaust, additional research tells me the Fenton WON"T work, although i can perhaps use it as a model. What I want is a tri-Y header.Its not essential that the runners be the same length, just that the header pair up the cylinders by firing order, and then connect the 3, in as short a length and with as smooth radii as possible.
Since we're showing off, I have a running when pulled 64 262, a NOS 262 head, a NOS rocker arm assembly, a NOS set of 50's rocker arm supports and a set of valve springs. Oh, and 1 set of Barkers, sans instructions.As for what I'm "up to", Check out these 2 sites, should give you a fair idea; http://www.superchevy.com/technical/eng ... index.html and especially this one http://www.impulsengine.com/how/briefhow.shtml.

I split my 223cid exhaust manifold 3-3 instead of the 2-4. Haven't got the engine back from the machine shop yet to try it out.

Really nice Speed Parts RMT. I wish those Chevy Inliner F@cks could no how hard OLD speed parts are to find for these beautiful Ford Inlines. -Ford Inliner till Death. Oh by the way how long did it take you to find those parts....just curious, been lookin' for Fenton intake like the one you have, and finally found one after close to a year of searchin' and lost bid on EBay or what I like to call it EPay, I think it went for about close to $300.00. Anyways really nice stuff...

Divco, sorry for not getting the Barker instructions to you sooner. I don't have an excuse, not even a bad one.

There's not much to them:

Remove Valve Cover, Rocker Arm Shaft, and Rocker Arms. Install Baker Hi-Lifts in correct position on shaft, making certain that if Hi-Lifts are to be used on Intake Valves only, that they are properly located on shaft. This is very important if full benefit of Hi-Lifts is to be gained.
Important - Make sure end of each valve is free of any roughness. Replace Rocker Arm assembly on head. Adjust clearance.

Intake .013 - .017 Exhaust .015 - .017

Barker Hi-Lifts are Guaranteed Against Defects in Material and Workmanship.

Texas, I just fell into them. I was in a car show with my 56 Ford wagon and a gentleman was there that was interested in my car. Got to talking with him, find out he has been racing since he was a kid in the 50s. Fords mainly, flatheads mainly, but has used a wide variety of engines. He still has, and races, the 32 that he has had since he was fifteen years old. He is 65. He has 100s of sanctioned wins with it, exactly six losses, not counting breakdowns. He points that out, "just where the other guy beat me fair and square." Three of those losses to the same guy over the years. But he beat him plenty of other times. Close rivals.

He held the record for his class at one point, has a medallion to prove it on the dash. From 1963. Rows of NHRA event win stickers lined up on both sides of the car. Untold wins with the car street racing way back when. He drove it over to Orlando the day I met him.

The guy is a walking history book on hotrod racing, going right back to the beginning. His father ran a service station, with a speed shop on the side. He worked there starting when he was very young. Said he was rebuilding carburetors, unbeknownst to the customers, by age eight. Together they collected untold parts for many years.

I'm proud to say he liked/respected me enough to even tell me about the stuff he has, much less sell me some of it. For that matter even talk to me at all. It helped an awful lot to have an old Ford he liked, the original y-block still in it and all cleaned up, with a tri-power and T-Bird valve covers.

Regardless that I might be approaching old guy status myself (55), you never know when it might be beneficial to be respectful and listen to some old guy at a car show. I'm happy to count him as a friend, never mind the rest.

Roger

texas_rat_trap":1ag1w3pg said:
...how long did it take you to find those parts....just curious, been lookin' for Fenton intake like the one you have, and finally found one after close to a year of searchin' ...

texas_rat_trap (and all),

This week I have been helping the man who sold me the Fenton 223 Ford stuff. He said it took him a lifetime of collecting to come across those bits, one piece at a time. This gives a much better idea of the scarcity of it. He also told me, for the first time, that he also has the matching finned Fenton sidecover and it is mine too, that is, when he finds it. He didn't tell me about it up front, making a promise he might not be able to keep.

He simply doesn't know where it is in the mind-bending collection of stuff he has. He knows he would never have separated the set so it will turn up eventually. He said he will tell his heir to keep an eye out for it in case he doesn't find during his lifetime. In that case I can only hope that his heir finds it during mine.

I have been helping him build some shelves in a new 40x60 building he had put up. Down the entire 60 foot length of one wall, minus a standard entry door out of the lower two shelves. The lower two shelves are 3 feet deep, the top one (about 10 feet up) is four feet. I can actually walk around comfortably up there. We decided a guard rail is in order, as well as stairs. Might have to put some regular shelves up on the top shelf. Way too much space up there to simply put up some things from the top of a ladder. Engines on carts will go on the floor below the first shelf.

This monstrosity would not begin to hold his collection. The entire building would not hold it, nor even come close. Three floors of that building would not hold it, it is literally stuffed and heaped into a building more than twice that size now, and that building has three floors. Virtually all from the days before small block Chevrolets. Like I said absolutely mind-bending. What he has, and the sheer amount of it, will alter the market when it comes to light. He says if all he did the rest of his life was try to unload all of it he would not finish, so it will just sit there until he is gone, he has other things, fun things, he would rather do. It is just too much.

The collection is not in Florida, the shelves are just for stuff that he intends to use, or at least might use. He knows perfectly well his age will prevent him from doing everything he dreams, but he is still dreaming up new stuff and making plans. It's what he has always done. "What am I even saying this for? I'm 65 years old!" I told him when you stop dreaming your dead, so just keep it up.

Roger

It's good to hear stories like that, certainly in terms of someone making an effort to conserve stuff.

addo":lhfc0jdj said:
It's good to hear stories like that, certainly in terms of someone making an effort to conserve stuff.
My thoughts exactly! :D
Almost forgot...rmt I saw a Fenton finned pushrod cover on E-bay once upon a time...got real expensive, and someone had shaved down the fins so the dizzy would fit which thats okay cuz I know a lot of the aftermarket parts they were making weren't exactly a direct fit but it also had a small 1/4" hole drilled in the side of it and I thought that was pretty weird. Do you know what that hole could'a been for...to this day I still wonder if I should've bought it.

Where could a young boy find a 223 valve cover made by Edmunds or Fenton to put on my 59 FORD inline 6?

.... It's my dream to fix it up and keep it until death but I want to style it as if I was growing up in the 60's. I have a perfect kidney to offer ;)

:unsure: I have been looking for most of the same parts for my 54 too missed out on a Fenton intake and exhaust few years back. I do a have a Fenton 3 speed floor shifter and Mallary dual point with coil and set of the rocker arms. Also have a Cilford 4v and headers, an Offy intake you can still buy those new. You have to hunt hard for the Ford six stuf was not as many made and sold as for the Chevy six, ford v8's but once in awhile they come up for sale, there is someone on H.A.M.B. site that says he might recast the Fenton exhaust man. If there is enough interest. Good luck in the hunt.

Thanks Bubba! ahhh I want a set of Barker Hi-Lift Rocker Arms too but I badly want an Edmunds valve cover! I have a 223 Edmunds dual intake... It was the last one Eddie Edmunds made in 1959 before he defaulted on his government loan and Fenton purchased the company. Unfortunately, Mr. Fenton chose to scrap all of the Edmunds parts in 1960 to resmelt into new Fenton equipment.

rmt,
Have more pics of your Fenton 223 Exhaust Manifold? I particularly need pics looking down the top of the heat riser box so I can make a repair to a burned through Fenton 223 I have. Suggestions on welding a cast iron manifold correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

Back