250ci Alternator Misalignment - Next steps??

MavChick76

76' maverick - i6 250 w/AC (links in paragraph to parts used)

I've had a problem with V-belts wearing and snapping. I replaced a warped pulley and water pump shaft as well as got a new alternator. I am now realizing my alternator pulley is misaligned to the water pump and harmonic balancer pulley (these 2 pulley are perfectly aligned to each other). The alternator pulley is about 3/8-1/4" forward (toward the radiator). Any ideas on next steps to fixing this?

link to Photos/Video folder of alternator connected to brackets on engine:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HL6_N0Y-S0qJHfNl9phss_r9OZMjluY9/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Cool!! That was better than Mr toads wild ride!!
Alt mount looks stock, I would check it next to the old alternator. A lot of posts about replacement items no fitting

I wish I could, but when we first needed to get the car up and running a friend replaced the alt and I never saw the original.

Welcome Lauren! As has been said, the brackets look original and located properly. That is most likely the wrong alt for the application, or you're driving it on the wrong crank/ WP pulleys. You replaced the WP pulley, is the single groove the same depth as the original, and I assume the original 2-groove drove the alt from the inside. Since the WP and crank align, that points back to the alternator itself, considering the brackets are stock. Mods to move that alt back would be extensive. If possible, locate another alt for that year and compare. The part of the alt in front of the bracket looks mighty thick.

Welcome Lauren! As has been said, the brackets look original and located properly. That is most likely the wrong alt for the application, or you're driving it on the wrong crank/ WP pulleys. You replaced the WP pulley, is the single groove the same depth as the original, and I assume the original 2-groove drove the alt from the inside. Since the WP and crank align, that points back to the alternator itself, considering the brackets are stock. Mods to move that alt back would be extensive. If possible, locate another alt for that year and compare. The part of the alt in front of the bracket looks mighty thick.
Everything else is 100% correct. The harmonic balancer and water pump pulley are perfectly aligned. the WP is the exact same as the factory original I took off except it is 1 groove instead of 2 (which is fine because I am not currently using the A/C that the 2nd groove would connect to). And yes I agree, but I've been trying to find a different ALT but can't seem to find anything yet? and recommendations on where to look?

No mam, not really. Went to RockAuto and all the listings for your car have the thick front boss also. . ??
Looking back at the video again- how far is the alt fan away from the body of the alt? Any chance it's not seated all the way? If it's not that would move the pulley out of alignment.

Here's a different '76 250 alternator mount, in-case you have a mix of parts?

250-alt-mount-2.jpg

Thanks thats a really helpful reference! out of curiosity is this your photo? do you happen to know the exact alternator used in this?

MavChick76, that alternator in PSIG's pic looks like yours, and the ones I've looked up. If I'm seeing your vid right, there's one exception- notice PSIG's alt fan and bolt: It's farther recessed on the shaft. The fan is closer to the alt body, and more shaft threads are exposed outside the bolt. I still say you need to verify that your fan/bolt are correctly seated. If they are protruding farther than intended, that's your 1/4" misalignment.
Do not attempt to tighten the bolt. Rather, the bolt and fan need to be removed, and assure the fan is clocked (if applicable), and seated fully against it's stop on the shaft, then replace the lockwasher and bolt. An impact tool is required.

Back