8N 6 cylinder funk starter solenoid

Hello everyone I'm brand new here brand new owning a tractor and curious.

I just picked up 8N 6 cylinder funk tractor. This tractor does not have a solenoid on the starter or anywhere on the tractor that I can find. When I attach the positive and negative cables to the brand new fully charged battery as soon as I attach the negative cable it turns the starter and there's no solenoid... Any help would be appreciated

Hi and welcome to the Ford Six Forum SICK! The 8N Tractors starting circuit will need to have that Starter Solenoid in order to work properly, the wiring system is very simple (see below Attachments) but it still needs to have all it's parts in their proper place to work correctly. If your Tractor is still an OEM 6 volt System than an original Starter Solenoid will look like this and it mounts right on top of the Starter Case. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-starter-solenoid-8n11450

An original Starter Push Button looks like this and was mounted right next to the Transmission Shift Lever in the top cover. The small Start wire (Red with a Blue stripe) goes straight from the small terminal on the Starter Solenoid to the Starter Push Button Switch. https://www.amazon.com/Rareelectric...32-99b8-adde25d1fed9&pd_rd_i=B07KJLVF9H&psc=1

Below are the Original 6 Volt (Positive Ground) systems there were 2 wiring diagrams that were used on the Ford 8N's first is early one used on Serial # before 263844, second is the Later one used after Serial # 263843. The wiring Diagram doesn't show the wiring hook up that went to the Starter Terminal but this is the second large Solenoid Post on the diagrams left side, and it used a simple solid Flat Copper Strap to go direct to the Starters Terminal (see link below).

The Copper Solenoid Post Strap to the Starter Terminal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVUEK5Y?th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

Optionally over the years lots of these tractors have also been converted over to 12 Volts Systems and still most of the parts are still going to be the same but some of wiring is different with a 12 Volt Battery its changed to a Negative Ground system plus you would need to have a 12 Volt Generator or Alternator used in place of those OEM 6 Volt Generator parts, there would also need to be a Ballast Resistor for the Coil to drop the Voltage some too. Best wishes.

Attachments

• Ford 8N Wiring Diagram Early Before Ser # 263844.gif
    Ford 8N Wiring Diagram Early Before Ser # 263844.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Ford 8N Wiring Diagram Late After Ser # 263843.gif
    Ford 8N Wiring Diagram Late After Ser # 263843.gif
    11 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hello everyone I'm brand new here brand new owning a tractor and curious.

I just picked up 8N 6 cylinder funk tractor. This tractor does not have a solenoid on the starter or anywhere on the tractor that I can find. When I attach the positive and negative cables to the brand new fully charged battery as soon as I attach the negative cable it turns the starter and there's no solenoid... Any help would be appreciated
The Funk conversions are just too cool, is the lengthened hood in good shape? Funk also did some V-8 conversions too,I think they were more common than the sixes I've seen a few but only 1 six cylinder. There has to be solenoid whether its a remote mount or made onto the starter like a GM. Some of the older rigs used a foot operated solenoid that looked similar to a headlight dimmer switch, and I've seen those stick down in the engaged position.

Back