78-83 inline4 fairmont/zeph turbo charged on a 200

A

Anonymous

I was reading in my haynes manual and noticed the 2.3l 4-cyl has a turbo on it.. is there anyway to use this turbo on a 200?

8)

You would have to use a 1983-1986 turbo. 87-88 Turbo T-birds used a smaller IHI turbo that many on the 2.3L turbo forums feel is almost too small.

The 79-82 turbo is a T3 but mounts to the intake and would be more difficult to adapt.

The 1983-1986 use the T3 turbo and the 4 bolt flange. Have someone make you up a J-pipe with a 4 bolt flange on it and you could mount a t3 or a T3/T4 hybrid if you wanted to.

You will need to route a oil feed line from the oil sending unit on the drivers side of the block using a T-adapter to the turbo.

Then you will need a oil return line from the turbo to the oilpan area. On the 2.3L turbo the oil return mounts to the block right above the oilpan. I would drill a hole in the block right above the oilpan, missing the oil pan bolt holes, and run the line in there with a down tuen to dump it in the oilpan area.

Best mods are a turbo with a .63 Aspect Ratio. The lower the A/R number the lower the rpm it kicks in at. A.63 on a 200 I think would be good. Most guys consder the .48 too low for a built up 2.3L turbo as the turbo starts spooling up as low as 1200-1500rpm depending on the setup.

I have a 1984 turbo 2.3L motor and it is a T3 with a integral wastegate and can maybe hit 20lbs boost if all is in good working order.

Unfortunately cast pistons will not last long at all with a turbo and forged pistons are not cheap and will cost you close to $700 for pistons and pins from somebody like Ross racing pistons.

With a 8.0:1CR, Aussie head, turbo profile cam, 3" single exhaust and a T3 pulling 14-16lbs of boost Im guessing you could get real close to 400hp.

The key here will be fueling. You can use a blow through carb and as long as it is setup properly you would be good. You will have to use a internally vented 1978 or later carb and switch to nitrophyl solid floats so they dont collapse from bost pressure and you will need a boost referenced fuel pump. Turbo City sells a metal carb bonnet to fit a Holley 2300 or 4 bbl carb and then you duct it like a normal turbo.

A TBI fuel system driven by a Megasquirt computer would work fine and would give you the tuneability of a EFI system but in my opinion might cost more, depending on how you get your parts together.

You can even run a intercooler which you will need if you want to run over 14lbs of boost. The current popular mod is a Volvo intercooler which can be found in wrecking yards or off Ebay for around $150 last I saw.

Back