55 F100 240 Engine Swap

Sorry but no they won't bolt up to any year of the 240 or 300 Six they are a totally different Bolt Patterns, the only way you could do that is by making a custom adapter plate and then you might also need to adapt the 223 Flywheel to so that the old 223 Six starter will work to. But the good news is that all the 240 & 300 Big Ford Sixes' will use the same 6 Bolt Bell Housing's as the SBF V8's I.E. from the late 1965 up 289's, and all the 302, 5.0 351 W & C's and the late 5.7 W EFI Engines plus a few more they will come in two sizes Flywheel diameters the 157 Tooth and the 164 Tooth so match the Bells and Block Spacer Plates up to them. Another big plus is that by using the SBF V8 Bell Housing there are many more Transmission Options too and are also much easier to find than a 223 Six Bell Housing's. Good luck on your swap

Sorry but no they won't bolt up to any year of the 240 or 300 Six they are a totally different Bolt Patterns, the only way you could do that is by making a custom adapter plate and then you might also need to adapt the 223 Flywheel to so that the old 223 Six starter will work to. But the good news is that all the 240 & 300 Big Ford Sixes' will use the same 6 Bolt Bell Housing's as the SBF V8's I.E. from the late 1965 up 289's, and all the 302, 5.0 351 W & C's and the late 5.7 W EFI Engines plus a few more they will come in two sizes Flywheel diameters the 157 Tooth and the 164 Tooth so match the Bells and Block Spacer Plates up to them. Another big plus is that by using the SBF V8 Bell Housing there are many more Transmission Options too and are also much easier to find than a 223 Six Bell Housing's. Good luck on your swap
Thanks for the info. That's a big help. I wanted to keep the original 3 speed column shift. Is there a way to make the original transmission and shift linkage work if I replace the bell-housing, flywheel and clutch?

Yes maybe if you can find one of the 1965 F100 240 or 300 Six Transitional Bell Housing's. These would still have the same narrow Trans Mounting Bolt Pattern that Ford used from 1949 to part of 1966 but they are made for use with the better 3.03 trans. The old 1955 trans could then bolt up and you would then need to make a spacer ring to be able to center the Trans in the Bell Housing, I believe this was a 2.77 diameter size on those older 3 speed Transmissions. The Front Input Shaft length would also need to be measured and compared to the 3.03 Trans Input Shaft length too if there is much of any real difference then it might also need a spacer if its longer than a 3.03 (I don't think that it is), otherwise it should work at that point with all the other stock parts.

I used to drive a 1956 F100 for many years and also raced it too, those transmissions are a little bit weak in my OPIN. I think a much better way to go is to just use the better 3.03 3 Speed trans it would be an all bolt together stock parts setup on to the 240 Six. Its a much stronger Trans as well as being way more fun to drive with its 1st gear Scyros and you could adapt it to your Stock 3 speed Colum Shifter with very little work. Best of luck

Yes maybe if you can find one of the 1965 F100 240 or 300 Six Transitional Bell Housing's. These would still have the same narrow Trans Mounting Bolt Pattern that Ford used from 1949 to part of 1966 but they are made for use with the better 3.03 trans. The old 55 trans could then bolt up and you would then need to make a spacer ring to be able to center the Trans in the Bell, I believe this was a 2.77 diameter size on those older 3 speed Transmissions. The Front Input Shaft length would also need to be measured and compared to the 3.03 Trans Input Shaft length too if there is any real difference might also need a spacer if its longer (I don't think that it is) than a 3.03, otherwise it should work at that point with all the other stock parts.

I used to drive a 1956 F100 for many years and also raced it too those transmissions are a little bit weak in my OPIN. I think a much better way to go is to just use the better 3.03 3 Speed trans it would be an all bolt together stock parts setup on to the 240 Six. Its a much stronger Trans as well as being way more fun to drive with its 1st gear Scyros and you could adapt it to your Stock 3 speed Colum Shifter with very little work. Best of luck
Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

Back