All Small Six 3x Carburetors on 250ci

This relates to all small sixes

Crustang to Mustang

I'm trying to sort out my carb situation and I need to know, what is the overall cost of doing the Offenhauser 3x1 set up (give or take)?

Nobody is going to do it for you 'turn-key'.

depending on your resources, abilities and availability, the 3 X 1 with an Offy adapter is 'mechanics illustrated' simple but requires an interested machinist ...

the hardware isn't too expensive - OFFY Adapter and linkage - 3 suitable carbs' - etc. less than $ 1000.oo ( and @ 1000 hours ) .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5970 ' -

3 offshore re-pops or 3 Webers ?

depending on your expectations, the rest of the engine can be OEM stock or modified to optimize the to your expectations.

. .

. .

Blueprinted D6DE Ford 250 Six; Shot Peened and Balanced Rods, TRW AMC 258 Pistons, .070 cyl. overbore, Clifford 272H Cam, 1.88 intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, Ported and Polished chambers and relieved valve shrouds . Fisher custom Harmonic Balancer, Tri-Power / Offy , Modified Holley 1904 glass bowl carbs, Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Re-Curved distributor, HEI ignition, Indexed Champion plugs, Glyptal sealed block, Detroit gasket set,. SFI 157 neutral balance-lightened flywheel spinning Centerforce Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed, Short throw Hurst shifter...

I though of doing a pair of the 2V Weber's and I am sure that some other's have done them. If there is enough room on the Log then maybe the 3 X 2V's Weber Progressive's might work they probably would fit with using 1V to 2V Adaptor's. The main issue I see though is that The Tri Power Front Carb just barley fits under the Stock Hood of the 1965 & 1966 Mustangs when using the Offy set up on a 170 or 200 Six. You would need some kind of Hood Scoop for the much Taller 250 Six. You might take a look at the Small Base Rochester 2V's or the Small Base BBD Carters. I am going to be setting up a Tri Power using a center Outlaw Weber 2V Carb and 2 of the Weber 1V's for the end Carbs soon. Good luck

one here did the BBDs (near final carb evolved in '80s just B4 Throttle body efi) as their a medium sz
throat/boar so as to fit the 3 together in the small space allotted (space atop the log).

Offy, evolved from speed equipping racing water craft, had TWO intake adapters for the ThriftPower.
An early and a late due to changes to our logs. Get the right one AND (per above) a machinist interested
in doing the job. Anybody can mill a log for these 'plate' style adapters to go on but there is some care involved
in doing it right, correctly. If needing I have 6 or 8 methods to 'rase a hood' on the typically " '60's/70s low hood fords ".

How does the Offy attach to the intake log?
"...had TWO intake adapters for the ThriftPower.
An early and a late due to changes to our logs...."
here's one (a thicker 1, the other is thinner @ that long top piece w/the carb mounts on it (I believe, never seen in person).

1) The log needs a lill 'addressing' as it only has 1 'hole" this has 3.
2) Also in the 'bolt down holes" (C the 4 @ the 2 ends?).
3) The links go on 3 'pins' @ the carb bases (facing U in pic) so do not attach/no need for more log holes
4) Gasket or 'smooo' goes btwn the intake'n log - I dont believe it's hi-heat like other engine (esp exhaust) gaskets or 'snot'.
5) U may needa change ur throttle link from gas peddle on depending on Offy/vehicle interface (U got rod or cable throt. system).
Never did the instal, there may B more 'issues' to address like carb choice'n hood clearance. "...If needing, I have 6 or 8 methods to
'rase a hood' on the typically " '60's/70s low hood fords..."

There: just enuff ta get U going (or is it 'in trouble'?) Oh, 1 last - once installed, ignore the 2 outer carbs to tune/run. A choke on that carb alone may suffice. Once the vehicle runs good on the center carb, bring in the others (adjust rod links/engage carbs) ~

Whenever someone talks multiple carbs, the fast, cheap, and easy (the holy trinity of hot rodding) in me perks up.

And I trot out these pictures yet again. SU HIF 4 (shown, or HS 4, an earlier version) as used in MG's, or HS 6 from a Volvo, simple carbs, buy 'em used and have them rebuilt by experts. Maybe $450 for the carbs and rebuild, find a friend to spark up his welder and glue the manifold stubs together.

Smooth the log and punch a hole in the manifold and screw 'em on. Probably be the only one on your block with side draft carbs.

Seriously, SU's are variable venturi (got a bad rap in the US die to poorly designed US versions), used in the Europe from the 19teens until the late 70's. Huge knowledge base on rebuilding and tuning. They are very forgiving carbs. Two main tuning elements- the jet needle and the vacuum chamber spring. SImiliar carbs were used on motorcycles until the early 2000's

Replicate what Ak Miller did in the 60's when the engine was new

Attachments

• IMG_1145 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1145 (640x480).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1147 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1147 (640x480).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1497 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1497 (640x480).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I spent some time flogging HS6s on a Volvo and can say they are a good choice, but they have the downside of wanting to fit right where the spring towers are on Falcons, Mustangs, etc.
I think a 200 or 250 would be happy with 3 of them.

Search ''Cowl hood for 65-66 mustang'' see if there is something that would give you the clearance that you need and look good doing it and maybe save some weight.
Less weight is like more power without the extra strain on the drive train.

the 5970 is for the mid 69 and later head, the other part number for the small log, I used 3- weber 34 ICH carbs as the were at the time about $150.00 each from CB Performance , you will also need a fuel pressure regulator and throttle cable/gas pedal upgrade. with machining and all the little pieces plan on spending around $1500.00

slo down !
I know this Offy only says it's only for the 170ci and 200ci but it looks nicer than the one for the 250ci. Would it still work? https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/offenhauser-triple-manifold-adapter-1960-1968-1
Matt will take PMs on his site that guide ppl thru all sorts things. (He may C this'n respond here )
Sipmly ask him. HE is the retailer'n responsible, like any, for product. Not folk unrelated here. 2 me
it looks like (see writing at end of link) this 'chunky one' is for the earlier yr models.

"...34 ICH carbs..."
tall ve dub carbs I think

Last edited:
I've had SUs on a number of cars, mostly British. They are really easy to work with and very reliable in my experience.

more added to post #11
https://fordsix.com/threads/raisin-hood.85381/
Nobody is going to do it for you 'turn-key'.

depending on your resources, abilities and availability, the 3 X 1 with an Offy adapter is 'mechanics illustrated' simple but requires an interested machinist ...

the hardware isn't too expensive - OFFY Adapter and linkage - 3 suitable carbs' - etc. less than $ 1000.oo ( and @ 1000 hours ) .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5970 ' -

3 offshore re-pops or 3 Webers ?

depending on your expectations, the rest of the engine can be OEM stock or modified to optimize the to your expectations.
how tall is the assembly from top log surface to hood powerband? You did not have to use any 'hood raising tricks" w/those glass bowl 1904s?

C-stang - this is on a 1 inch lower deck 200 (not 250).

Like 64falconsix I have used the Webber ICH carbs but with a ICT for the center one because it has a choke. I have not any problems tuning them and they are easy to jet. My wife and I each run this setup on our cars.
If you are handy you can use your existing linkage arm off the firewall to connect to the progressive linkage assembly. Get a quarter inch round rod heat bend and tap the ends to fit.
On a 64 65 Falcon the carbs fit just fine, with a 200 (under the hood) but had to cut the hood with a 250. Did find a hood scoop that was wide enough and not very low that worked. Not sure if would fit in my wife’s 68 Mustang without cutting.
Believe it or not but I “machined” my head with a belt sander and drilled and tapped it for the adapter. It can be done.
The other thing is you do need a pressure regulator to keep pressure down to 3psi

Last edited:
Back