All Small Six 3D Printed Intake Manifold

This relates to all small sixes

Crustang to Mustang

Anybody have a 3D printer and tried making a lightweight intake manifold for a 2V or Crossflow head? I've seen a few projects but not much info out there. I'm just curious how they would hold up.

Anything that could be home printed would never hold up. FDM printed ABS, PLA, and even 'exotic' materials would not hold up to fuel and heat cycle. Resin prints offer more exotic materials, but would most likely also fail. The thing to do would be to have a design printed in stainless or aluminum by a commercial printing service.

I've done a column mount mini tach housing, tailgate emblems, dash knobs, and door sill electric clips at home with a FDM printer.

Attachments

• tach_housing.jpg
    tach_housing.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 2
  • 1962_Ranchero_emblems.jpg
    1962_Ranchero_emblems.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 2
  • dash_knobs.jpg
    dash_knobs.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2
  • clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
Anybody have a 3D printer and tried making a lightweight intake manifold for a 2V or Crossflow head? I've seen a few projects but not much info out there. I'm just curious how they would hold up.
You do know about Aussiespeed manifolds for these engines? Ford did have a plastic manifold on the late Barras, but its NOT subject to the exhaust heat, or much petrol being EFI or LPG.

There was a foundry an hour from me that would take your 3D PLA prints and make molds from them for casting. Brass, aluminum, etc, and IMO 'reasonable' cost. Unfortunately they vaporized during COVID, but I'd imagine others are out there. I saw several examples of intakes there on display, and the comment was that most do not plan for the machining of the raw casting, and those costs involved. A set of 4 throttle body intakes (ITB) for a Euro 4-cyl was $87 cast in aluminum (about 6 years ago), as the only price example I had. Figure $140 for an I6, plus machining, inflation, and do your math. 🤷‍♂️

There are metal powder 3d printers.
They can do exotic stuff like Stainless, Titanium, Inconel, and whatever else the rocket - bros are into these days.

If you let Santa know you successfully IPO'd a tech company I'm sure he would toss one on the sleigh for ya.

Back