235 Chevy serial number with extra letter?

Lynn Evan

My 235 has an assembly number 079872 followed by a clearly stamped letter “I” in a different font, then followed by the build code F55Z indicating Flint Mich. plant 1955 and standard transmission.

I’ve never seen a letter in this position. The decoding references dont mention a letter between the assembly number and build code and I don’t think the letter “I” was ever used as it could be confused with a numeral 1.

Do any of you know the significance of the extra letter?

Thanks and I will try to post a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
The reason I asked about the serial number is that I bought a 40 Chevy on a bill of sale at an estate auction. The 235 engine is in the 40 and it has no body assembly number on passenger floor board where its supposed to be. Long corroded away.

So I went ahead and applied for a title using the engine number as most cars pre mid 50’s were titled by the engine number (pre modern VIN number era). I left out the odd stamped letter “I” thats not supposed to be there….trying to avoid tossing any monkey wrenches into the wheels of the DMV.

Anyway….cross your fingers and wish me luck on getting a title 😉

Thanks to all who looked at my predicament.

I'm too far removed from my decades of Chevy 6's to remember, and only had the new engines 230/250/292. A shot in the dark, but perhaps it's a casting or manufacturing change. Ford designates a change from original design with a letter. . Oh and glad DMV worked out. "Been there, done that". My last BOS purchase from a non-title state it took 3 months and two rounds of multiple (stupid, unrelated) forms to finally get the title.

Back