215 Rebuild Kit Saught

nixoid

Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for a 1953 F100 inline 6? 215 cid \ 3.5 liter. I'd like to make this as easy as possible. Not looking to build a performance machine, just refresh and make it more reliable. I already have a gasket kit, oil pump, and timing chain set. Would like to find crank & cam bearings, pistons, rings, valves, caps, guides, locks & springs. Basically, all of that and everything else that moves or seals.

Any ideas?

Kev

The Ford 215 Six’s happen to use the same Main and Rod Bearing Sizes as the later 223 Six when your searching. You can by a kit or just the parts you need at EGGE Machine (egge.com).

Connecting Rod Bearing - CB406
https://egge.com/product/connecting-rod-bearing-183/

Main Bearing Set - MS2525 Choose Size Oversize 000, 001, 002, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060 https://egge.com/product/main-bearing-set-162/

Ford 215 L6 1952-53 Master Rebuilding Kit (with overhead valves) - F215M you can get almost everything by the piece or in a kit except for the Stock type Rings unless you all ready have a Replacement Piston in the engine and a Camshaft but those can be reground by a couple different places EGGE is one of them and Schneider Racing Cams is another. Also EGGE offers rebuilding services for Water Pumps, Fuel Pumps, and Oil Pumps and some other items. I also have another great source for Fuel and Water Pump Rebuilding in the Eastern area. Best wishes. https://egge.com/product/ford-215-l6-1952-53-with-overhead-valves/

Wow Bubba, this is fantastic! I appreciate the effort you put into this. I haven't torn down the motor yet so I like that egge has to tuins in case I have to clean up the journals.
Kev

@bubba22349 I called up EGGE and they are a good shop. Unfortunately, they don't have any pistons or any plans to make any. I can give them somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400 to produce a set of forged pistons for me which is something I'd prefer not to do. Do you [[or anyone else]] know where I might find a set of pistons/rings for the 215?

Kev

Hi Kev, well that's sad to hear my Dad and I used them many times in the past on building our Model A engine's and even got the grand tour of their shop once, they where making Pistons for so many of the older engines.

Ok on new Pistons there is Auto Tec / Race Tec Pistons (https://racetecpistons.com/) they were making sets of Custom Forged Pistons for Six's (as well as others) that you get to have made to your spec's of Bore size (or send them one of the old Pistons for a pattern to work from) and you can also pick out the Ring Grove Sizes for around $550.00 a set last time I checked a little over a year ago. On the Rings I don't know off hand but there is likely going to be a set Rings available that's used in some other engine with a similar bore size that could then be used so that would be the first thing to find.

And for a lower cost still, since the 215, 223, & 262 Six's are in the same "Engine Family" there is also the option of using most all the early 223 Six parts they were built for many more years and in much higher numbers than the 215 Six's plus the parts are available from many more places. All most all of the 1952 & 1953 215 Six parts are the exact same as Ford used in the early 1954 to 1960 223 Six’s including the Gaskets. There are very few exceptions those are the Piston Bore Size and Rings, the 215 Rod length is 6.260, and a 223 is 6.250 on both engines the Con Rods small end is .9121 so is the same Piston Pin's, the 215 Intake and exhaust Valves are not the same size as were used in the 223 but they do share the same Valve stem sizes. The 215’s used a Melling M25 Oil Pump these will fit both the 1952 & 1953 215 Six’s and also the early 223 Sixes 1954 up to 1956. Both of these 2 engine Short Blocks will have the Same Crankshaft Stroke length of 3.60. The stock Standard Bore size is 3.560 for a 215 and is 3.625 for the 223 so you could than use the Standard Size 223 Piston's and Ring Set's in your 215 (for a stealth 223 on the inside) would only need to be bored out .065 over the stock 215 Size, not much for those very heavy wall Cylinders it was not uncommon to see bore oversize's of .125 on those old engines back in the day. Also both of these engines use the same size Connecting Rod Bushing's like many of the other Ford Engines of that time frame, so other than Boring out the Block everything else will fit the same. Here is another Company with parts listings for the a 223 Six a Master Parts Kit they have other Kits too and many of these companies will make a custom kit with only the parts you want if you ask. Edited to add some more Info. https://www.cleggengine.com/ford-ohv-6-223-3-6l-standard-engine-rebuild-kit-1954-1964.html

Last edited:
Thanks @bubba22349 . I'm printing your posts for reference. It's pretty amazing to me that you could have this many posts and the depth of knowledge of your responses. I need to bring the truck to the mainland before disassembly. That probably won't happen until the fall. With the details you've armed me with, I'm confident I'll be able to put together a great rebuild kit.

Many thanks!
Kev

bubba22349 beat me to it about the possibility of using 223 pistons. His information is absolutely correct. I took a quick look, Sealed Power (#1011P) and Silv-O-Lite (1079) are both listed and appear to be available in standard bore.

Thank you very much Kev, I have a long history with the 223 Six's helping my Dad with the 1956 F100 and later it was what I learned to drive in so they will always be kind of special to me. X2 well there you go "manglass" has even found you some of the Std. 223 pistons too! Good Luck on the rebuild and let us know how it turns out.

Back