200 length vs 250 x-flow length

The only real difference is that a crossflow uses the later 4 bolt water pump which is longer. The block is the same length. The 250s are a bit tight in th early "round body" as you guys call them, car, again due to extra length of the pump. I ran out of room on mine so Igot rid of it altogether. I now run a Davies Craig electric water pump. Our crossflows came in 200 and 250 CI, they use the same blocks and heads, crank and rods are different, they can be swapped around. Australia has several version of the 200, a 4 main bearing early six, a later 7 main bearing small bellhousing, a 67 7 mains big bellhousing, a tall block big bell precrossflow, then the crossflow, confusing I know.

Exactly half an inch, the difference in the US 200 to US 250 water pump. The exact difference is 4.125 verses 4.25 inches. There is a catch, the Pulley is moved back a different amount to the length increase.

In 1978, the Fox 200 3.3 used the long nose 250 4.1 water pump, 4.25 inches.

The v belt was moved back less than half an inch to compensate. On Round Bodies, the radiator top tank hits the longer 4.25 inch water pump, but if it's replaced with a David Craig water pump, a remote pump, you can fit a tall deck Aussie 9.38 200 or 250. The USA 250 block to deck is 9.469 inches.

The offsets are moved back to align the v belts back to the same position, but the Aussie engines are spaced out about 62.5 thou further.

If you use an Infinity G32 radiator like Joshes user '64 200 Ranchero' in his Ranchero, you'll be able to avoid a lot of the calculation hassles

Best example is Rick Wrenches 200 six with the Fox 3.3 liter water pump.

You have to specifically go to Falcon Updates: 11/05/03, H2O Pulley and Damper.

See Rick Wrenches post on Bubbas link here.

Sorry Papas, you'll just have to work through the baby steps to making sure the top tank misses the 9.38 inch deck 250 Block. Untill you've done it, you won't get it. Australians have battled the top tank, 250 engine collision since 1971 on Round Bodies. You just gotta suck and see.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Back