All Small Six Timing issue

This relates to all small sixes
Angy B1rd, I am curious how this turned out. Did you get a different cam? Did you do the 2V conversion? Turbo?

As angrybird said in post #224, I had the same problem with a reground stock cam. I had a 0.015 blip. I took the cam out ad right next to the lobe was a piece of casting flash that the regrind did not catch. I filed down the casting flash and the problem went away.

I have found that it is easier to back the cam out for adjustments rather that try to remove the cam gear which is a tight fit. I have not put the plug in the back of the block yet covering the camshaft opening. This way I can reach in the back of the block to the cam to guide it back in. If you have the plug just remove it and put in a new one when finished.

I will say the engine is not in the car but on an engine stand so backing out the cam and putting it back is easier. If the engine is in the car I would still not remove the gear to change the timing. Get a bolt that fits in the end of the cam and weld a handle to it. A piece of 3/8 pipe will work. Remove the gear bolt and install this one. This will give you a way to hold the cam straight.

I used a double roller chain and the cam gear was a tight fit. I heated the gear as I pulled it on and it went right on but I would not want to remove the gear again unless I changed cams.

I have a bunch of bolts with different thread sizes to pull gears and harmonic balancers on. Just get a bolt with the right thread, cut the head off and weld into a 1/2 inch rod coupling. Install a 1/2 threaded rod in the other end of the coupling and with suitable spacers and washers use a 1/2 nut to pull the gears on.

Back