Help with cylinder head identification

I have a rebuilt 200 six that I just installed into a 64 falcon which originally had a 170. My problem is that the cylinder head on this engine has the larger bore than the 170/200 normally has. The casting code says D8OE. The block is a C5OE. Is this a 250 cylinder head? If so what are my carburetor & throttle linkage options? I have a spacer plate that fits but no where to bolt on the swivel for the linkage. I have a carburetor for it that looks like a larger autolite 1100 with the linkage in the same spot as the smaller carb. If I could get the stock swivel to mount up this all could possibly work. Is there some kind of adapter for this? I’m mainly a V8 guy so this is all new to me.

Yes the later large log heads will have a 1.750 inch carb base hole compared to the early small log heads that had a 1.500 inch hole. This was a great improvement made by Ford to increase carb flow into the head it also opens the door to be able to easily use many of other later model carb's, some people take this even farther opening the carb base hole to 2 or 2 1/8 inch.

A block casting / design beginning number of C5DE denotes a 1965 engine block, a D8DE head beginning casting number denotes a 1978 head casting. By 1977 as well as all the later models the 250 head and a 200 heads are exactly the same. These heads all having the 1.750 intake valves, factory flame hardened valve seats for use with today's unleaded fuels, the bigger 62 CC combustion chambers (for best results these should be milled down to get back to a 52 CC chamber plus another .025 to allow for today's thicker head gaskets this will bring the power / performance back to stock specs and more), larger logs, and a 1.750 inch carb base hole opening. These large log heads are a great upgrade to the older 1965 to 1974 200 short blocks and with proper prepping will exceed to stock horse power and performance of these earlier 200 engines that used the smaller log heads.

There are no adapters being made at this time. Some people have used the smaller carb adapter plate and by opening it up or flaring the opening so that the later bigger bore carb's throdle blade will clear without touching. You could also make your own adapter plate fairly easy out of aluminum or steel like a few site members have also done so that you can mount the stock 170's screw in throttle linkage pivot pin so that you can then use all of the rest of your current stock Falcons linkage and with the bigger carb opening it let you take advantage of the much better carb to head flow. By 1969 Ford went to the cable throttle linkages so that's another option for you. In the below link is some more info on throdle linkage solutions with good pictures, there are also many other linkage posts on our site that you can find by doing a search some of them will have pictures. Best of luck (y) :nod:

Carb Linkage Solutions
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80387&p=623817&hilit=Throdle+linkage#p623809

Sounds like you are going to get a decent bump in power with the right carb. Recently on this forum some china repro carbs were being discussed. A 2v Carter BBD available in 3 cfms and a 250 cfm 1v that look promising. If I can find that post I will provide the link.
You may want to look into getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook it discusses many performance mods such as carb upgrades and much more.

Hi, most guys here would welcome the later cylinder head, with a bigger opening for more airflow, and other improvements.
As mentioned, it is not a big job to adapt the carb to the head.
If you change to a bigger carb the trick is the linkage. It is a whole lot easier if the car is a stick shift and you don't have to deal with a kick down for the tranny.
When I made major changes to the engine in my Bronco I used a Locar cable It was easy and it worked out great.
You should also ID the carb and distributor, because the older (original to your car) load-o-matic distributor with the matching Spark valve vacuum carb only works together, and the later "modern" distributor works with the later carbs.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance from Vintage Inlines and learn more about your Ford six.
Good luck

Back