XF Wagon rear suspension swap

A

Anonymous

I got my sep/87 GL Wagon in may of '99 at 262,000 Ks from a brother in law who'd had it since new, the motor was replaced with a reco exchange unit at 271,000,all wearing parts of the steering and front suspension were replaced at 280,000. It's now done 301,000 Ks, it's got heaps of go and the front end is tight and quite precise, however, the rear end is sagging badly and due for renewal. MY QUESTION IS, can anybody tell me if theXD-XH ute or van leaf springs will fit the XF wagon and if they changed the rear springs during that XD-XH period. This wagon is used as a trades vehicle usually carrying a minimum 250kg in the rear cargo area and another 100 or so kg in the area usually occupied by the rear seat base, which has been replaced by a flat platform, the back of the seat is in place and acts as a barrier between sections.

OK heres some gen, sedans and wagons use same 4 leaves assy, utes and vans use this assy as well, but add 3 extra leaves, this would be too heavy for you.
So best is to get another set of leaves (from the dump) carefully disassemble by cutting the centre bolt, remove the spring eyes from the top leaf. (oxy is ok, just clean up with grinder) Now fit this leaf below your original top spring and youve got 5 leaves giving extra capacity without ruining your ride too much.
Its easy if your carefull and take your time, dont forget the rebound clamps. BTW Gts had 5 leaves, just lowered a bit.
A7M

If you are always carring around that weight the springs fitted could already be collapsed.
It probably would be worth your while to locate another set of springs from a sedan that hasnt carried as much for so long.
The springs from the tip are a good/cheap idea but could be fitting same as what you have. stressed and sagged springs form another car.
Best to see how they are before removal.
Yes do cut out the centre bolt to release the leaves but this is best done with the leaves clamped so as they dont sproing (technical term for unrestrained release) and spray you with hot metal/objects.
A simple job to remove and refit springs but rust and time usually makes it a bit harder.
Happy motoring
Noel.

Thanks for the input fellas.

So now I'm thinking, get a set of springs that's done a lot less work, add the extra sping as suggested by A7M (thank you.... I love tips like that, very affordable.) Could I ask for an expansion on BTW Gts though.

I had been expecting to have whatever springs go into it reset.
Anyone got any info on this?.......like, are a set of leaf springs reset as an assembled unit or as individual leaves then reassembled.

Any recmmendations on rear shocks to suit?......I thick billstiens are out as I was hoping for more than just cab fare change from aus$1,000 for the whole deal.

If your carrying heavy stuff all the time then you could get away with using ute/Van springs. Just run a tape measure over the main leaf spring to make sure its long enough.

You could go to either Better Springs in StMary's or Carrols Springs in Smithfield (in Sydney) and get them to either reset your pair of leaf springs, or they might have what you want on the shelf.

When they reset your springs they usually fit a new extra leaf to the pack, because the old leaves lose a little of their tensile strength.

If you do fit extra heavy duty Ute/Van spring pack you might have to use longer U bolts to fit them up because of the extra leaves in the spring pack. You should use new U bolts any way.

I've pushed a few cars through Allsprings in Moorebank. Generally one of the cheapest. Denise (if she still works there) is a sweetie... :roll:

They'll reset, poly bush, add a leaf or two and repaint (just a quick lick of nitro black) in a day, if you book it in. For shocks - go Pedders if you can get a worthwhile price. Otherwise talk to Whiteline Automotive and see what they recommend. Bilstein is overkill on a trades vehicle.

Regards, Adam.

Thanks for the replies, I've now got more idea of what's possible.

It's no performance car, but too good for it's age to let go unattended.

Doddsy

G'day its me again with saggy rrrs xf wgn
Your right right about Allsprings Addo, in phone around they were by far the cheapest to rebuild existing, no Denise but the bloke I spoke to was helpfull and didn't put me on the goose cause I didn't know his job, but a day outa action adds 60-70% to cost of job.

Stopped at a wrecker I was passing he had a xf ute out front wearing newish looking rear springs so obviously cheched em out, they had a sticker ......kings springs (XA-XC WGN) same length as mine,same length again as EA +ED wgns I measured. seems Ford really doesn't like to change what they don't have to. Oh yeah he woul'd sell em said fixin it up for resale , he did however try dumping a pair of 6 leaves so rusty looked like been in salt water creek couple of years, thanks for nuffin.

Seriously thinking new springs 5 leaves extra 1mm thicker, eurothane eye bushed and shackle bushes supplied incl deliv $150 more than cheapest rebuild and no loss of income.

I'm under the impression King is just a label brand - maybe Selby's in reality.

But they seem OK. Goodyear Service Centres were doing them, and they weren't cheap. :shock:

Getting the front eye out of there is a pig, no matter how you do it. Expect 2-3 hours T/A on a job to fully R&R, if it's done thoroughly. Allow for a new set of U-bolts - should've mentioned it before. I just don't trust them at their age, second time around. Shackles are another variable. It's 50/50 they're shot with corrosion.

Cheers, Adam.

thanks again addo.
Forgot to mention the new eye bushes were fitted by them in that price .done that once and don't want it again if avoidable.

Should I be changing u bolts due to age/distance travelled or length of bolts, I'm seeing 7/8" of good condition thread.

If there's no corrosion to speak of, and the threads aren't especially tight when undoing (maybe light brass wire brush and WD-40 prior) then it should be OK to re-use. If the nuts are Nylocs, replace them. If they aren't, replace them anyway. Don't overtorque. This is important - follow factory settings.

Good luck with those @#$%^&* eye bolts. My XM wagon is easy by comparison.

Back