Sohc 6.2 head revist

Tbone3366

Famous Member
Was talking with a colleague, and we found the avg flow for the sohc head at 550 was around 310 to 315cfm, and 270 around 400 lift, ontop of having VVT, say Variable lift like hondas Vtec was added, i heard that they can lift to 670 down the hole but no solid answers, what kind of power would we see with a proper mechanical or sefi system on a 10.0 compression 300, flat tops, and a matching cam to the 6.2 stock but assuming the variable lift to match the claimed 670 or whatever the max lift truly is, assuming the fuel used is 93 octane

The only info i could find was roughly 202 to 210 duration for both cams with 550 being the total lift and a 116 lsa

I think one of the many paradoxes you are battling is trying to make a low RPM torque engine behave like a high winding sports car. I think if you were to swap the SOHC top end over onto the shorter stroke 240, you would have a better expectation and a better complement of parts working together.

I am trying to find the stock cam specs rn but only aftermarket cams
Why does it matter since the engine you are looking at building has about 57 cu inch cylinders and the 6.2 only has 47 cu inch cylinders.
Your engine will need a lot more cam than the 6.2

The Vtec engines are not variable lift.
The valvetrain jumps between two different cam lobes so both the lift and duration are changed by a single step and not variable between the two extremes.

I wouldn't want to add that much complexity to my engine.

In a Vtec engine the compression ratio must be adjusted for the smaller cam lobe.

Last edited:
6.2 Raptor/Super Duty is a SOHC with cam advance/retard only. The whole thing gets moved, I & E together.
The valves, ports, flow would be a decent match for a big six.
You won't need "max lift" to meet power goals. Sacrificing reliability for a few top end HP, for a work truck, and all...

Why does it matter since the engine you are looking at building has about 57 cu inch cylinders and the 6.2 only has 47 cu inch cylinders.
Your engine will need a lot more cam than the 6.2

The Vtec engines are not variable lift.
The valvetrain jumps between two different cam lobes so both the lift and duration are changed by a single step and not variable between the two extremes.

I wouldn't want to add that much complexity to my engine.

In a Vtec engine the compression ratio must be adjusted for the smaller cam lobe.
So this is a hypothetical, i should have stated lol

Also i was thinking of hyundais I-VVT where it fills the kifters to change lift

Back