Smog and Emissions Equipment Questions

A

Anonymous

I live in Michigan and therefore do not have to pass any emissions or smog regulation tests, and would liek to remove some of the emissions control equipment that is on my car. My car came from California so I know it must have a ton of stuff, and I have done some research, but am not to sure on some stuff...

As I do not want to completely pollute the environment, I want to some stuff like the charcoal box. I'm also going to leave the egr valve, as I don't want to mess with the carb. However, for instance I want to remove the air pump and I will replace the alternator bracket.

However, I can't find any diagrams or pictures about what is what, and I don't really know what is what, I just know my engine looks a lot more cluttered than other straight sixes, and I am sure that the smog stuff is holding back at least a little power.

If anyone could put up some pictures, or point me in the direction of where some diagrams about how all of the stuff is connected to the car it would be amazing. I want to take the stuff off to get to know my engine a little more and get used to working on my own car, but I guess if the diagrams are not available, then I can always send it off to the shop and have them remove the stuff. It just seems liek stuff comes off easier than it goes on, and this is one of the few instances it won't have to go back on (hopefully, never know 10+ years from now...).

Thanks guys for your help! Oh, and if anyone is in the Metrodetroit Michigan area and would wanna help out sometime... :).

-Tim-

My 78 Zephyr (3.3) when I bought it. :roll:
2594472_9_full.jpg

After the de-smog(removed everything) :eek:
2594472_15_full.jpg

I removed all smog equipment. Runs much better now. YF carb helped!
All that is left: one vacuum hose to mc booster and one to distributor.

As long as it's tuned up well and regularly, no need for a guilty conscience!
There is a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge readily available on this forum. :beer: :D

you made a comment about sending it to a shop to have them remove all that...you cant, as it is illegal for a shop to remove all that mess.

i would advise taking your work one step farther - you don't need/want EGR, the carbon canister is worthless in my experience (which is with 80s trucks), as the lines running to if from teh gas tank are usually rusted off, thus making it no better than not having it.

you sounded a bit hesitant to touch the carb, but removing the egr won't be hard at all. simply remove its spacer under the carb and plug any open ports that result from that (i'm not sure if thats a pipe from the exhaust manifold or a hole coming up through the side of the intake, but whatever it is it won't be too hard to plug it may also require you to bend the mounting for the accelerator cable to work with the new position...nothing you can't do :LOL: :LOL:
--josh

pickupman":3ryneib1 said:
you made a comment about sending it to a shop to have them remove all that...you cant, as it is illegal for a shop to remove all that mess.

i would advise taking your work one step farther - you don't need/want EGR, the carbon canister is worthless in my experience (which is with 80s trucks), as the lines running to if from teh gas tank are usually rusted off, thus making it no better than not having it.

you sounded a bit hesitant to touch the carb, but removing the egr won't be hard at all. simply remove its spacer under the carb and plug any open ports that result from that (i'm not sure if thats a pipe from the exhaust manifold or a hole coming up through the side of the intake, but whatever it is it won't be too hard to plug it may also require you to bend the mounting for the accelerator cable to work with the new position...nothing you can't do :LOL: :LOL:
--josh

wow, I didn't know it was illegal for a shop to do. Guess you learn something new everyday. I think I will try to make a list of some semblence of an order to take stuff off, so it doesn't look so overwhelming. I'm also trying to find someone that could give me a hand local, so that should help as well. Once I get my other DD back up and workable (The window got stuck down...) I will be able to spend more time on the mustang...

For the new alternator bracket, do i just need one from a nonsmogged car?

Thanks

-Tim-

Here is a shot of my engine as it is now:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachment. ... 1164679452

It is a felony to tamper with emissions control equipment, so good luck finding a shop to do it for you.

I would agree, however - that after all this time especially most of that crap isnt doing anything anyways.

Bort62":3f83gtzw said:
It is a felony to tamper with emissions control equipment, so good luck finding a shop to do it for you.

I would agree, however - that after all this time especially most of that crap isnt doing anything anyways.

Yah, I pushed the idea of a shop outta my head, but it just looks so overwhelming... from changing your oil to ripping emissions of... quite a shock...

as for your alternator bracket, yes, a pre-smog car has the exact bracket you need.

i understand the feeling of not wanting to just jump in without experience - ive been there ;) but you can do it, man!!

i would start by taking off the smog pump, IIRC it has its own belt so you don't even have to worry about messing up anything else. just plug the ports where it blew air into and that part is done
next priority would be chasing down all those hoses that run everywhere. if a hose doesn't run anywhere important, pull it and plug it.
good luck--josh

Back