propane start

A

Anonymous

perhapssomeone ha shad this problem (realising it doesn't get truly cold in your part of the world) I have a impco 300A mixer and model E converter and when it gets cold -26 cel. the unit wont start when the air filter is in place -remove it and the unit starts no problem . This is new any suggestions?

1. Grab a starter valve (SV) from Impco. It runs of the E-convertor via a 1/4BSP brass or plastic nut from the primary side of the unit. They are 12v battery operated solenoid which pumps raw propane into the area under the carb during cranking. There is a brass fitting with a restrictor. Should cost about $US 20, and comes with instructions.Works a treat!

2. Another thing to ponder. I've never liked the standard Dodge-style ten by 2 3/4 inch air cleaner. It's got lots of area, but it has paper construction and I doubt its open design will prevent the formation of ice crystalls. A K&N filter won't freeze up. It really needs a cover if its stock.

3. I think the cold makes the diaphram pretty intollerant of cracking open. Perhaps the idle richness needs resetting. They are very easy to retune, but the shop doesn't often have a fridge that big to do a set-up while that cold! Grab the Impco manual, and follow the trouble shooting page.

thanks for your advice Excute.
I have been running propane for many years and using 225,300A, and 425 mixers and have never experienced this before. I changed mixers (another 300A) and it still wouldn't start with a new paper filter , remove the filter and it started no problem. This unit has been starting when very cold no problem until now. It has never used a primer but that may help , also I think I'll dismantle and clean the mixer thoroughly in case oily residue has accumulated to a point which inhibits diaphragm movement ?
Very much appreciate your input.

Back