My project comes to life

Gene 64 2dr

Well it’s been a long time since I first got my project 64 Falcon (It was just before Mike came out with the alum head). I found this site along with the TFFN site and started to go to work.
With many delays including working on the house to get ready for three weddings, and shoulder surgery, I finally got the engine together and in the car. I have to give many thanks to a lot of people on this site that without their help would have made building this engine a far more difficult project.

To my relief it fired up without too much trouble. All that is needed I hope is some tuning and it should be ready to go. The car needs some more work so that I can get it on the road so I can tell all of you just how well it performs. It’s not going to be a daily driver and should find it’s way up to the near by drag strip as often as I can make it.

Here is a list of what has been done:

(Machine shop) Miller Machine / Haverhill Ma
200ci bored 40 over flat top pistons
reconditioned rods
Polished and balanced crank
New main and cam bearings
Installed hardened valve seats with three angle valve job and new seals
Milled head, block and flywheel

Parts included in rebuild:
(From Classic Inline)
268/274 (110) dual pattern camshaft with matching springs and retainers
Chrome moly push rods and hydraulic lifters
Dual roller chain set
ARP studs and bolts
DUI distributor and wires
Long tube dual out jet coated headers
Alloy valve cover

(From Summit)
Offenhouser three carb adaptor manifold
Ram strip/street clutch kit

(From CB Performance)
1 manual choke ICH Weber carb for the center
2 ICT Weber carbs for the two outboard carbs

(Local auto part stores)
Oil pump
Delco alternator
Water pump

I ported and polished the head as well as installing the offy manifold
The CR looks to be about 8.7 to 1

I still have a few more questions before I’m completely done but now I feel I may be of some help to anyone else that may have a question with what I have done.

dscn4354a.sized.jpg

Here is a link to some pics of my build:
http://falcon1.myphotoalbum.com/view_al ... m03&page=1

Gene

... still have a few more questions before I’m completely done but now I feel I may be of some help to anyone else that may have a question with what I have done

Looks like you are serious about the engine. The fairly low 8.7 CR should be within regular gas use I presume, matches dual - pattern cam ?. Do you know the head comp. chamber size after milling?.

I'm interested in the differnet builds' concepts for head - deck - gasket setups .

The T5 setup looks great (and familiar). What rear are you mating it to ?.

Further Pics of car install' appreciated.

Thanks 8)

Powerband

Very nice. I am in the process of a similar rebuild, minus the tri-carb setup, block is at the machine shop right now. I looked at all 66 of your pics (nice hat!), but I have two questions: Why did the headers change color, and whats the story on the rocker assembly? Oh, and what year is the block?

Thanks for the responses
Here are the answers to your questions. I knew I’d leave out some things. It was late and I was trying to keep it short.

I’m trying to get it on the road in a couple of weeks but being in the nice dry warm Northeast I think it’s going to be a little while. I won’t be able to give anyone a comparison to how it was before the rebuild because it wasn’t drivable when I bought it.
Also the rear gears are going to have to be changed. It now has an open rear with a 2.9 ratio. This will never do.

The CR is a little low I know but I can always go up. This way I can increase it with a thinner head gasket or milling. If I started too high it’s kind of hard to go back. It’s not like when you cut a 2x4 too short you can’t go and take out the board stretcher.

The dual pattern cam was recommended to me for what I was going to be using it for.

The head is a later flat log head with a chamber size of 62cc.
I just had a very little bit taken off when the valves were being done. Since the block was being done also my machinist recommended taking most of it off the block. You get a higher increase in CR milling the block for the same amount taken off the head. Also you don’t take the chance of weakening the head if you take off too much. I still have the option of taking some off the head later if I want to which will be a lot easier than taking the block apart again.

The T5 setup may look familiar to some. It was one of the last ones built by Al “the hackmisterâ€￾ and it’s going to an 8â€￾ rear end that is in need of a gear change.

I have many car pics that I’ll get around to soon.
64 Falcon sedan, all new front suspension with SS disc brakes and dual master, new leafs and brakes on 8â€￾ rear, new floors but cowl shot.

The headers changed color because that is one of many mistakes (changes) that I made during the build. The black ones are Clifford dual out long tube headers that work only for low mount starters so a change had to be made ( I still have it and is for sale if anyone needs it).
The hat is my son who I have almost convinced building the six was the way to go. He gave me all sorts of grief about tearing it out and putting iin (you guessed it) an eight.

I change to the roller rockers because one of the members had them for sale and I could not resist, (I still have the old one if anyone is interested)

The block is a 68 dual pattern and I believe the head is a “79â€￾ large flat top log I forgot to write down the code before I ground it down for the manifold.

If I left anything out let me know and if there is anything else please ask.

Gene

Back