My Budget 250 build

i wuz hopin he'd show da casting~

So I've read the entire thread.. what was the final outcome using E63E-B1A rods ? Use as delivered with appropriate bearings, and sbf rod bolts ? I guess the rotating assembly balanced ok ?

Yes that is right the SBF APR Rod Bolts work just like they do with the stock 200 and 250 stock Six Connecting Rods. Use the 2.5L Rod Bearings. The Rods along with the Pistons he picked fit nicely into his 250 Block and it Ran good and there are a few clips showing him drive the Comet around a little bit.

So I've read the entire thread.. what was the final outcome using E63E-B1A rods ? Use as delivered with appropriate bearings, and sbf rod bolts ? I guess the rotating assembly balanced ok ?
Just recieved these rods from clegg. The first one measured 6.045" . Has anyone verified stated 5.99" length ?20230227_085040.jpg

Last edited:
No, not specifically.

The engine it came from has a 9.380" deck Height, a 1.500" replacement piston compression height , and with the 3.585" stroke, that allows a 6.045 inch piston to fit in the 2.5 litre HSO engine easily.

On a 250 engine using a 2.5 OHV conrod, any difference can work in the wrong direction. Although Ford do 'always' quote 'all' blue print dimensions on block deck, piston CH and Rod length to 3 decimal places ( 1 thousandths of an inch) they 'always' had wide tolerances on deck, and often changed them between years without notice. Do and Always are hard words for Ford to standardize on.

The stock OEM piston is 1.520, the replacement, 1.500. The stock piston short full with a 6.045 in Rod is just 23 thou. It's highly likely Ford changed the conrod length tolerances to reduce or change compression ratio, just like they did with the 250, 351 and 460 during the production run. I'd trust your measurements.

Last edited:
Back