making a phenolic plate

A

Anonymous

There is a clearance problem with my 500cfm carb mounting on my log. the log has been modified to mount the carb but the end of the butterfly shaft (the part outside the carb that conects to the linkage) hits the bottom when rotating. So I thought I could make a phenolic type of spacer plate out of jewelry makers graphite. It is easy to work with (same as wood) and should mount fine.
My question is basicaly, would it effect the fuel any? Should I coat it with something? it does leave a resadue on your fingers (same as touching a freshly sharpend pencil). And would it need some kinda sealent? This will be on a Turbocharged application if that helps any.
Thanks,
Ben

8)

You would have to experiment with the material in gasoline. I dont think many people would have exposure to that material especially in a automotive enviroment.

It has graphite in it but what else is the Graphite mixed with? I would think that Graphite would be ok but it should be mixed with another material. Worse case scenario you could make a adapter out of aluminum or stack carb to head gaskets to gain the height you need.

Back