I'm going to Blow my Budget!!!!

I've been thinking on what you've said. Still thinking on it...my Wade blower isn't as trim as Dukeowindor's, and it's going to need more LPG than one good AU throttle body like his. And the carb has to flow through the top end, not the back. Haven't considered a Supercharged blow-thru'.

http://www.coogeebayperformance.com.au/popup8.htm

red2a.jpg

I may have to hit it with a bigger hammer on the spring towers...or do you have a spare Lepoard or Sherman tank I can use to tamp it all down?

Yes. I do need to tilt der donk.

The Wade blower is quite large, and packages no where near as well as the Sprintex, Autorotor, M90 or Toyota SC12. It's about on par with a 4/71 but not as tall.

http://www.bcwebsites.inuk.com/FORSALE.htm

http://www.bcwebsites.inuk.com/ENGINE.jpg

The real issue for me isn't the size of the blower, but it's the need to fit the XE/XF EFI injector rail on as a means for detonation control. The problem with super chargers and gas is the lack of cooling from the fuel. There is little latent heat of evaporation for a propane engine. All guys from hot rod back grounds and true hard core streeters are unable to come to terms with detonation unless you

a) lower the static compression or

b) use an exotic brew of fuel...like VP Red, C16, 105 Avgas or even methonol.

Even stock Falcon sixes push the detonation evelope real close, and blown rod bearings are the result.

So I'm using some high flow injectors, and plumbing up an electronic anti-detonation injection system, wired to run like the old 1978-1980 Mazda RX-7 over-run enrichment circuit. This means there is really nowhere to fit the super charger or the twin Impco carbs I'm planning on. The only recourse is to lean the old girl left or right, and mount the carbs and supercharger to one side. And I'm almost done.

Can't wait to show you my pictures!

PS...I've given the thread a bit of a cull out of active images(img's). Some url's have dropped off, and some img's have been reassigned as urls.

I have some diagrams I'd like to post. There are are lots of things I'm starting to dislike about the Wade RO34. Firstly, it has one outlet placed in a postion not as well centered as the GMC's, Eatons etc.

I've worked in with Paul to do two schematics. One with the Cross-flow "Project 228", and the other with a GMC 3,4,6/71 side hook-up on a 250 log. Either way, the packageing isn't as good as the Dukeowindsors, or most of the other set ups we've seen on this forum.

Paul had no issues about the engine mounts, tilting the engine, or the adaptor for the AOD. The main issue is that my 160 dollar blower is not the pick I first thought...not in a Falcon engine bay.

I'll get these photos sorted and see if any of you guys have got some better ideas
;)

Yeah, throw some pics up, mate, and let's see if we can't get our arms around this beastie...! :D

I've done with cross-flows and superchargers on X-body Fords (Pre Mustang II, pre 88 Falcon, pre 72 Torino, but including Mavericks).

There isn't the space unless you use the right supercharger.(The sprintex or Eaton). If I want a propane mixer sticking out the bonnet, no problem.

I got some new adaptor plate rigged up for the XE Falcon, mounting it above the exhast header, but it looked like I was always going to run into problems with the wade blower regards to the carby position.

I've shelved plans for it in an X-body cross-flow. In a Ford Cortina or Hyundai Stella something, no worries, as theres no spring tower.

Now I'm going back to non-cross-flow log head 200's.

I'll post something soon. My Paradise account doesn't allow external viewing form other web providers. I'll get my crap together soon. I've got heaps to post, lots of fun items.

SuperMag":2wwelx4j said:
XECUTE":2wwelx4j said:
Here's a photo. Guess which one is my girlfriend?

Given the contented look of the sheep and the look of pent-up sexual frustration on the face of the human, I'd say the answer is obvious... :p

in the "better late than never" category...

"..............." - (insert state, country, whatever - of your choise)

"............", where men are men and the sheep are all a bunch of "lyin' beeeches"...

Great thread, by the way...

XECUTE-

you can grab brand new eaton m90 blowers from holden direct for 1600 aus last time i checked,

the only thing i dont like about roots blowers, is that the trash the air too much and the fact that you are on boost constantly,

i love turbo's, with turbo you have constant adjustment, and set up the proper way you can potter round town off boost then just a few hundred rpm and you have instant stoopid torque levels.

are yu going efi or gas??

personly go the efi, larger injectors can be had of maxda rx7 (pink/red injectors 555cc) skyline gtr's are 444cc as well. i modify vn commodore ones to flow 550cc for 50 bucks each as well.

a bosch 044 fuel pump will suffice by far. make sure you grab a rising rate reg as well.

what would be good to see is for you to grab a ohc engine, dosnt matter what year it is (ea-au) i got a complete ef one for 650 buxs.

i'd use the lower half of the inlet manifold off a ef/el falcon and fabricate a upper manifold to fit the blower on.

or you could moddify the x-flo head to accept the ef/el/au lower manifold.

i'll post a pic of the inlet and stuff in a week or so when i have completed my own one.

cheers.joe.

I'd like to publicly announce...the slant six Ford X-flow is dead.....for the time being!

Here is my 250 cross-flow project from early last year. This is an Aussie Falcon engine.

I was trying to fit a Wade RO34 207 cubic inch blower in the engine bay, under the hood. The strut towers our Falcons, Mustangs, Foxes, Granadas and Mavericks have make it ackward. It was a goer technically, but I bailed as I realised the old Log head I6 was a better bet.

<<<<This is the SBF Ford FMX to 250 x-flow bellhousing adaptor template. I'm now making these for I6's, without the 21 degree tilt.

<<<<A 21 degree drivers side list.

<<<<The FMX auto was out of a 351Windsor LTD. The tilt was arranged to avoid bolt and starter motor overlap.All AOD's and most C4's follow this pattern.

<<<<The view of the starter. Note the exhast ends up on the passenger side. The x-flow is very Chrysler slant six-ish on the intake side, with a 8 degree tilt from vertical on the manifold face if you lay the head on the table.

<<<<The bellhousing links in with the FMX bolts to a degree. I decided to do a drilled through bolt on this to get it all hooked up.

<<<<One the other side, the bell housing cleared most block bolts okay. I believe you can adaptor plate anything if your enginerring is sound.

<<<<Ah, look! A 30 degree slant the right way! I couldn't package this one, due to oil drainback issues. If I'd used the Hemi 426-style oil drainback, it would have been great!

<<<<The end of the matter.

Well, dugh! Oh well, now you can see what I get up to in my spare time...

I'm back on to my budget blowing supercharged Ford I6.

Went away from the idea in early 2004 due to packaging issues in my 84 Falcon XE .Well, I sold that and now I've got a 80 Cortina TE Station Wagon, an 87 Fairmont XF, and a 79 Falcon XC.

The project is back on, and I'm into it.

A few pointers.

1) The engine block will not be slanted over,

2) the supercharger will fit just under the bonnet of a Cortina, Falcon or Fairmont (and certainly any US x-shell like Mustang, Comet, Cougar, Maverick, Torino, Fairlane, Granada, Monarch etc etc).

3) It will fit the Aussie cross flow and US non cross small sixes from 144 to 250. It doesn't work on 240s or 300's, because you guys have enough power already. ;)

One of the main issues for me has been organising a proper conversion which won't throw belts off and didn't result in me being bankrupt for the next millenium!

I'll keep you posted.

xecute®™© he he":250n3fhf said:
It doesn't work on 240s or 300's, because you guys have enough power already. ;)
enough... power?
huh?

i confused

yah, mon...

Three Rules To Live By (Regarding horsepower)

1) Enough is not.
2) More is better.
3) Too much is just right.

asa67_stang":5mqv30ij said:
xecute®™© he he":5mqv30ij said:
It doesn't work on 240s or 300's, because you guys have enough power already. ;)
enough... power?
huh?

i confused

Bolt on EFI, or 2-bbl, 4-bbl intakes, plenty of headers around, access to 390 forged pistons, the strongest crank around, great con rods, good 12 port cylinder head. And even the lowlyest 300 has 120 hp net, thats 37 more than most 200's, and 20 more than a 250. Gross ratings are even higher.

...glad to see ya back on the case,Uncle-Dean :mrgreen: . Hopefully,you'll see this through to the end(and then some...) 8) . OO6.

I'm gonna journal why I got back into the Supercharged set-up for a moment. Background is interesting!

I got very disapointed that there wasn't an x-flow kit around, but felt that things were rather difficult in the engine bay.

A while back, I looked at the AJ-6 Falcon in Street Machine and Modern Motor in 1997.

AJ-6Falcon1997StreetMachineAMUF.jpg

Tickford also previewed a gold EL Falcon Predator at the 1998 Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane Motor Shows. So the AJ-6 had no chance of getting released just a few months before the AU was due.

Both AJ-6 and Predator articles were very positive about these supercharged cars which had compact underhood blowers.

Yet again, the compliance costs for less than 500 cars a year were too steep. Bryan Griggs of GTA Automotive had done a huge amout of development work in the mid 90's on these cars, with some work with Alan Moffat in 1995, but there was no progress on the six cylinder supercharged Falcon until Ford released a virtual copy at 1998 Sydney Motorshow.

Perhaps Ford may have had other issues with the impressive Sprintex Superchargers, and the Sprintex companies eventual sale to AEC , but the fact is the kit was previewed in 1997. It's sad that it never hit the streets.

Since Alan Jones failed to get the 1997 AJ-6 Signature Series Falcon on the road, there have been 6 years of non activity on the Sprintex Supercharged Falcon untill 2003, when Forced Air Technology at http://www.forcedairtech.com.au/fordkit.htm previewd the same kit!

It had a Whipple 1600, which was soon replaced with a Yella Terracharger 1500. www.perfordmag.com found that running on a piddly 5 psi of boost, it yielded about 227 rear wheel hp in a blue FAT BLOWN plated AU2, a 44% boost from 158 hp with the stock AU 2 4.0. All up, the flywheel figure is likely to be about 215 KW or 13% more than the latest BF Falcon XT in a far lighter car. It runs water injection rather than an intercooler, so things are easy to service.

Since 2003, FAT has been making kits for AU2 Falcons, and these can be made to fit EF and all AU Falcons, but are only ADR approved in the AU2.

The kit I'm building uses the same kind of set-up as the age old Norman blowers used in FJ Holden of 50 years ago and uses the modern mounting techniques displayed in the 1997 AJ-6. It isn't as trim as the more modern and compact low pressure superchargers FAT, but my kit is designed to run over twice the boost. I guess using a 50 year old Wade blower helps, but I still think the technology has been laying dormant for years.

Bryan Griggs said it best. "...we (GTA) think that the supercharged six will have more appeal than a worked V8"

amen!

Back