All Small Six Five Quart Oil Change with these Filters

This relates to all small sixes
"...practical experience wise...."
I like this statement as every 1 is different.

"...that on a certain race track..."
again, something to like here.

I think, just like the tweed jacked, leather elbow patched who do "peer reviewed journal articles" to 'prove theory' we too can compare real data and 'find truth'. I, however, live ina separate reality aahahahaa

that of "the off road". Here's hopin my RBS duz well 8^ 0
o0OP, the 20% 250 / 80% 4.1 pan is gunna prove it's self (thats + or - ) as well.

Will run Rotella 10/30 (in the white gal jug = T4) non-syn, right weight, readily available, diesel for flat tappet (hi zinc/phosphorous, z.d.d.p.) cam lobe and less than $20 for that big jug (a gal).

Do you buy "detergent or non detergent" oil? If you are old enough you might "get it". I remember when reclaimed oil was 10 cents a quart if you brought your own container. I never bought any reclaimed oil. How many people buy the same weight of oil that their parents bought? I did and always bought 30WT "detergent' until the lifters in my 302 started clacking on cold mornings in the winter. This was about 40 years ago. :)

Dana, my engine machinist at Mann's Speed Shop here in Kansas City said they only use Joe Gibbs Driven oil now because VR-1 has reduced the zinc and other elements.

Any knowledge about Driven?

Everyone has a preference. I have used them all. I can not tell you long term affects because I always switched. Lucas, Driven, Royal Purple, Amsoil HotRod, and the list goes on and on. I even tried those expensive oils. (yes there are some out there that cost more than the ones I listed).

All I can say is when my old engine was torn apart I saw no ill affects. All I looked for when I switched brands was oil pressure. I also know there is an opinion on weight. But, that depends on the build.

no tanks (w/o guns) as over 3 to 5$ a qt seems un-reasonable...

Five Quart Oil Change with these Filters​

better in the head and on the bering surfaces (bottom end ) than in the pan or (as here) the filter.

Last edited:
I use the wix filter for the added capacity. Adding a body mounted 90° adapter, relocating to where the battery used to be, and a couple of oil tubes along the radiator support will also give you more volume, added cooling, and an easier filter change.

Since I started bringing wix filters to the oil change place to use instead of their gypo chinese made junk filters my Jeep Cherokee 4.0 has more oil pressure. I would say around 10 lbs maybe a bit more. I will start using these in all my vehicles. Except my 1970 Triumph 500 Trophy as it has no filter.

Excellent bmbm40, congrats on getting better Oil Pressure, I have to wonder how many engines have been damaged by those Cheap Oil Filters over the years? For others that haven't heard the NAPA Oil & Air Filters are also made by Wix too. In my OPIN the Wix filters are top quality I have been using them for many Decades now.

Wix, Fram. Mann were mine. There are only 4 or 5 co.s internationally (bub's ex above - NAPA Platumn is WIX). The different names are simply sprayed on. I used to be able to keep track of who's who but they keep buying each other up and swapin etc. Even w/in the names I mentioned there's better models w/in each co.
I'd go w/the pleated paper rather than the newer 'media'. See the BITOG forum for updates (& oil issues). Really the main point isa 3 - 5Kmi OCI with proper API classification and good quality (not poor) filter. I don't trust the 10K mi upgrade they went to recently. I used to think I needed to add zinc, phospate to my '69 freshly mo'chined/built motor. Not so certain now. I used rotela "T5" (white bottle) 10w30, or 40 seasonally. Has diesel's ZDDP (zinc, phosate) in it. I may begin to use the modern european API soon. Still @ break-in. Will not use the Gibs BradPenn (now new name) purple, lucas etc on this 1. No need~

Last edited:
WIX-FILTRON is officially part of the Mann+HummelGroup, which as a result is now one of the largest companies in the world specializing in filtration technology.

Wix & Mann make some good filters.
Just noticed that the Motorcraft FL-299 listed on Amazon says that it’s made in China.

Last edited:
The standard Fram filters used to be junk. Many suffered collapsed filter media. I don’t know if Fram updated their filters but I stay away from Fram. Now, Fram race spec’d filters used for racing applications might be made different.

I’m not sure if Motorcraft out sourced all their filters to be made in China.

To be safe, I’m staying with NAPA/Wix/Mann+Hummel filters. Buying a high quantity filter is cheap insurance.

Most NAPA and Wix filters are the same.
Here’s a good example:
• Napa 1773
• Wix 51773

Same filter, Wix part number has an extra digit, It starts with the number five.

use the 'grades' too as some can B from different manafacturers ( sold by NAPA as Silver, Gold, Preium) even w/in that 1 retailer.
I think w/Fram, the XG and TG are better than the PH even tho cheeper...

Ford medium trucks use a longer filter that is otherwise the same. Baldwin B2 is the common filter BT251 adds about 1 liter.

You will probably need a 90 degree adapter to fit it.

On the Mustang I have used a cleanable Aluminum oil filter for years. It was pricey but I will never have to buy one again.

is this what I call "cartridge style'? Any pic or manufacturers name? Kinda 'remote' like the 'Amozole'? I
like the ones that dont: spill on my mo`chene, needa lift, or require more than 1 tool. Just call me "Breezy".

Boy, if I got all these wishes I probably skip all the stuff done WITH the oil change (check & service other items on
time/mileage list - safety / maintenance). Boy I really AM Breezy (read: 'quick but dangerous').

Back