Engine changeover question

Have a 1961 XK Falcon Wagon 144 auto with a very tied smokey engine which is coming out for a rebuild soon, I am wanting some advice on a suitable engine which would be a straight forward changeover to bolt up to the original auto trans so I can keep this old girl on the road. Not sure if the 170 or 200 cubic inch motors are an option?
I am new to this group so any feedback would be appreciated.

Have a 1961 XK Falcon Wagon 144 auto with a very tied smokey engine which is coming out for a rebuild soon, I am wanting some advice on a suitable engine which would be a straight forward changeover to bolt up to the original auto trans so I can keep this old girl on the road. Not sure if the 170 or 200 cubic inch motors are an option?
Greetings dmgt! Post your question here, you'll get more traffic.

Xk will have a small bellhousing with a 2 speed auto. The sixes with small bellhousings would run up to XP and a 200. Later, xr on, no go as a bolt in. XMs had the 200 with the 2 speed auto, the BW 3 speed wasnt used until XP, then it was used with an adapter plate. IMO I would be trying to rebuild a 144, unless you are really serious about originality, they are slugs, the 170 is much better and was optional in XK.

Back