Easy one....223 drain plug ideas

What dose your Drain Plug look like, is it like a original stock one that has a larger Washer type Head on it?

What dose your Drain Plug look like, is like a Original stock one that has a Washer type Head on it?
Pretty sure it's the sock hex washer head bolt. The re-builder put a nylon washer in there and she drips here and there. Once I get past the break in oil and I change it out I want to get a rubber seal added or something.

When you drain the oil, take a close look at the pan where the plug gasket contacts. Pans can get bent from road debris, etc. the surface may not be flush. May be able to file it down flush where a good washer will stay sealed. There's a balance with any softer washer like rubber- needs to be tight enough to be sure the plug doesn't loosen, but not so tight to splay the washer out of shape.

I struggled with this myself, but I found a solution, turns out that after 50 years of semi-sporadic oil changes, the pan threads were a bit chewed up and the mating surface for the drain plug had big grooves in it... not ideal for a good seal. I found a company that sells add-on drain valves to replace the plug, That valve plus their included gasket worked good. They designed them for fleet vehicles, but it works just fine for my uses.

IMG_2344.jpegIMG_2346.jpegOn my 200 inline I tried oversized plugs even the rubber butterfly to keep my drain plug from leaking. Finally after be tired of my wife complaining about drips on driveway i ordered a drain plug bung on amazon.11.00 bucks and pulled the pan. I then broke out my wellder and got to work. It turns out there’s a piece of metal spot welded in the pan that was stripped so i removed it and started fresh. I spent all day doing it, i didnt mind it was black friday and i used it as an excuse so i didnt have to go shopping with her!

Back