All Small Six Decisions, decisions...

This relates to all small sixes

Wyowanderer

I have a '63 Econoline with a (I think) 170 in it. It's plumb worn out low compression.
My dilemma - Rebuild and reinstall the 170...
Or
Buy a good running '66 200 that came from an auto car and install it in place of the 170.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 200, but I wondered what y'all think. I'm pretty motivated to get the van on the road.

what is the chance the '66 200 is drilled for a pilot bearing?

I have never seen one that was not drilled for a pilot bearing ever, what info do you have that It could not be?
I see no downside with the 200, direct fit
My Hollander manual interchange #691 Note 3 says "Check pilot opening in rear of crankshaft when interchanging between manual and automatic transmission".
Seems like I've read it around here as well, but I'd be hard pressed to quote a thread.

Yes sure the reason for that Hollander statement is only related to what Transmission that you plan to use. So if the engine you pick up was being used with a Stick / or Manual Trans behind it then it will have the Pilot Bushing in the Crankshaft Center as well as a Manual Trans Block Plate Spacer, a Flywheel, and a Clutch Assembly. And say your going to be now using that same engine but with an Automatic Transmission. Then to do that you will need to remove the Flywheel, the Manual Trans Block Spacer Plate, and the Polit Bushing also needs to be removed from the Crankshaft. In order for the Auto Transmission's Torque Converter Hub to be able to then seat into the center of the Crankshaft and also bolt up correctly to the Flex Plate it is necessary to remove that Pilot bushing!

Now as you said above you are going in the opposite direction and the engine that your picking up was using an Auto Transmission before and you now need to change it over now to a Manual Trans. So to start you will need to remove all the Auto Trans parts if it comes included with them as follows, unbolt and remove Trans at the Bell housing off the back of the engine, remove the Torque Convertor from the flex Plate, then the Auto Trans Flex Plate off the crankshaft, and finally remove the Auto Trans Engine Block Plate Spacer. After that you are ready to install a new Pilot Bushing, then install the correct size Manual Trans Block Plate (there are 2 different ones), and then install the correct Diameter & Ring Gear Tooth count Manual Trans Flywheel, plus the correct Clutch assembly (there are 2 sizes 8.5 or 8 inch) each only fits in one of the two most common sizes of Bell Housing and fit a certain type Manual Trans too. Good luck on your swap it will be an easy bolt in job with the right parts that you all ready have on the 144 or 170 Six that's in your Econoline.

Last edited:
I have a '63 Econoline with a (I think) 170 in it. It's plumb worn out low compression.
My dilemma - Rebuild and reinstall the 170...
Or
Buy a good running '66 200 that came from an auto car and install it in place of the 170.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 200, but I wondered what y'all think. I'm pretty motivated to get the van on the road.

what is the chance the '66 200 is drilled for a pilot bearing?
To verify the engine in your Econoline is a 170, count the number of freeze plugs in the block on the exhaust side.
3 freeze plugs - 144 or 170.
5 freeze plugs - 200.

Go with the 200. The crank has 7 main bearings and can take performance upgrades better than the 4 main bearing crank in the 170.

Hi, as mentioned, this will be a good, easy swap. Use the engine spacer plate to check all the dowels and bolt holes line up on the back of the block, and check the pilot bushing for fit on the tranny before assembly. There are at least two sizes. Good luck

Give a shout when you get it in and running. Then we can get it fine tuned.

Back