Compatible carburetor?

Khaki

Am trying to straighten out previous owners mess. Have a 200 six, 1968 block with an intake manifold from 1975-1976, D5DE 6090 BA. Bastardized carb setup and would just like to put a carb on that will fit the intake. Ford econoline

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. It also saves a thousand questions. It would help a lot if we knew what was there, and what wasn't.

Am just an old fart trying to figure out how to send you pics in this format. I know how to email but first time in forum setting

I'm a dyed in the wool Luddite myself. There's a little icon in the top of your message box here that looks like a single picture of a mountain with the sun over it. Click on that and it will give you a place to put your picture.

I have a carter rbs on my 78 250, looks like this. It was advertised for an early 70s model 250 which should have the same flow ratings as the head on your 200.

IMG_5963.jpeg

I'm a dyed in the wool Luddite myself. There's a little icon in the top of your message box here that looks like a single picture of a mountain with the sun over it. Click on that and it will give you a place to put your picture.

The right answer depends on the type of distributor you have. Load-o-matic or "other".
Also, the head or adapter plate's venturi diameter will dictate what will work, though, other adapters are available for a lot of different carbs.

On my daily driver Squire, I have a DSII ignition/distributor and use a Holley 1946 on 65 block/66 head, via an adapter. Great mileage and reliability.

Rick(wrench)

Carter RBS is a good carb. From the Tech Archive:

First, lets go over your carb choices for a one barrel. In the early years Ford used Holley-1904-1908-1909 carburetors from '60-63, and the more common Autolite 1100 from '63-69. All of these carbs had 1-7/16 inch carb bores. The Autolite 1100's were offered on the 170 and 200ci, with three venturi sizes (1.00/1.10/1.20). Mustangs normally had the 1.10 or 1.20 depending on the model year, configuration, and engine size. In '69 most sixes got the larger Carter YF carbs, which were first use in California to lower emissions on the '67-'68 model years. However, some models came with the Autolite 1101. Ford switch to the more common Carter RBS for the '70-'73 models, which came on all 250ci engines. The 1101, YF, and RBS carburetors were larger, with 1-11/16 inch carb bores.

The Falcon Performance Handbook states the D5 head should have a 1.75" carb opening.

You need a large log carb adapter.
The carb adapter and heat shield in the photo were taken off a 1978 Fairmont 200.
IMG_0791.JPG

Back