"Close Enough" Turbo Kit?

Very true, Kritas. I'll try to figure out what is necessary to get the car lookin' nice. And try to look into performance after I have that sorted out. I just am not quite sure what I want, having never done this before. I didn't realize how stressful a project car would be.
I'd suggest starting with the bones of the car. Fix rust and work on the structure. When I started on my Mustang, I was going to put a V8 in it and then got interested in figuring out the six it came with. I still don't have the final direction set for my engine (but it runs great now), so I'm working on the myriad of other things that need to be attended to. Today I'm welding in a patch in the floor and I've stripped the entire interior for paint. That kind of thing isn't expensive and really must be done at some point.

I'd suggest starting with the bones of the car. Fix rust and work on the structure. When I started on my Mustang, I was going to put a V8 in it and then got interested in figuring out the six it came with. I still don't have the final direction set for my engine (but it runs great now), so I'm working on the myriad of other things that need to be attended to. Today I'm welding in a patch in the floor and I've stripped the entire interior for paint. That kind of thing isn't expensive and really must be done at some point.
You're right. I need to just get it to cruiser level then go from there. I don't know if you saw the pictures of mine on VMF but it's in pretty bad shape.

this thread is really goin' in the weeds - yes you can add a turbo to the 250 with minor mods' - no problem for a plan not the starting point, no need for stressing .. have fun getting the car together so it can use boost .

... first attempt at D.T. turbo setup on stock Maverick 250 led to oil spray on windshield as piston lands blew off at @ 1 Bar with too much enthusiasm ...

Mav' 250 now with improved fuel and ignition timing control, stock internals with Blow-Thru - 350 Holley and Vortech Supercharger at @ 1/2-Bar typical 'minor modifications' .. .

have fun

I'm just torn between trying to save money so that I can ask the girl that I like to go out with me or try to impress her.
Young man, if she is worth having for the long haul she will appreciate your vehicles as they are, and you for not putting the priority of a flashy fast car ahead of the practical present. Dating vehicles are really good indicators of the relative compatibility of two personalities who are forming a relationship. All that lasts is relationship. If she is pouty about your project car date-ride, you have learned something about the relationship that is far more valuable than showing up with a show-ride, and thinking all is well.
What impresses the right girl is what's on the inside, not the outside- the motive behind the effort, not the final results.
Project cars take a long time, and in one sense are never "complete". The secret of it is "enjoy the journey", not forcing ahead to an imagined end. Fix the car a bit at the time as budget and time allow. If your girlfriend thinks that's cool and helps you with the car then a "crusty" old car has become far more valuable than a new one.
And you have found a real friend.

Thank you guys. I appreciate all the info that y'all have provided. But I think I know where I should start and I think that I'll be happier with a nice car rather than a fast one. This isn't to say that I'll never spend some money on performance, but I think for now I need to take it one step at a time. Thanks again.

Please do some reading on the subject before you do any thing, A Graham Bell has a good book, forced induction. https://www.amazon.com.au/Forced-Induction-Performance-Tuning-Graham/dp/1859606911
I would also add that a positive displacement blower will give a better all round feel on the street, the level of difficulty is slightly higher, but IMO performance is better. PS the kit shown above will require a LOT of work to get installed and running well.
I have a blown 200 crossflow down here in Australia, its great on the road, I did all the fit up myself, I did have the advantage of being in the Auto trade. I have had turbos and the big cam carby thing, blown is best.View attachment 18975
I recommended that book before, it is my favorite book for boost.

Back