Cast iron x-flow turbo XB Falcon build.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and ideas. The people who run and contribute to this site do a great job. We all like cars. Most people i know have little or no interest so sharing my little triumphs and occasional major mess ups with other car nuts motivates me to get to work. I work in a 3mx 3m tin shed and under a carport. It's tough out there.

Enough guff. What about the car?

The motor is in and running and the twin plate clutch is installed and working like a champ. The intercooler is in, but i have left off the turbo until i get a LPG test and the new converters installed. I still have to get a v-band garret wastegate or modify the deltagate to suit.

To re-cap this is what i have done to the motor and box:

200 ci cast iron x-flow. 20 thou over ACL race pistons with 8.5 cc dish (about 8.3:1 comp) Zero deck, 100psi valve springs at the seat, resized rods with ARP (windsor V8) rod bolts. Any body wanna buy 4 brand new rod bolts? Heh, heh.

Polished head (chamber only, cast iron heads have very big intake ports), home modified sump with 100mm round pipe welded each side of the sump about 100mm long each side, baffles and windage tray, and a 5/8 turbo drainback fitting. Stock new cast iron JP oil pump, electronic ignition, double row rollmaster timing set, balanced motor, powerbond balancer, mild cam. The cam is the one i put in about 4 years ago, I will use it to run the motor in and go crazy later. Its about .450 thou lift and duration about 10 longer than stock. ACL Race main rod and cam bearings, Race gasket set. Redline 2 barrell holley manifold, adaptor plate and early model gasresearch carb with a 55mm butterfly.

ARP flywheel bolts, 351c twin plate clutch, hydraulic clutch, rebuilt single rail. Intercooler is a cut down ford truck item. 1 metre wide 320 mm high and 40mm thick. Turbo is one I got from the tip, I was dumping my old fridge and a guy was chucking out car parts, thankyou nameless car-nut. I had it reconditoned by garret about 4 years ago. I have not seen one like it but it's twin entry, about TO4B sized. Had a holset compressor wheel. I got a bigger compressor cover and wheel fitted, no identifying marks. It has no wastegate. I have a cast iron exhaust manifold designed for the cast iron x-flow. It is designed for a split entry turbo and garret v band wastegate.

I still need to make an exhaust. Running stock with no turbo at the moment.

I have painted the car and painted the engine bay black, I also rewired the bay so the loom doesn't go through the firewall anymore but through the guard area, much neater.

I've got a spin on oil cooler adaptor but havent fitted it yet. Power steering is in the way, I'll work it out. 2 row crossflow radiator and mechanical flex fan.

Thanks to Dick at Queanbeyan Engine service for the machining and advice. One of Dick's great tips is to use the Windsor V8's neoprene rear main seal, much easier for an amateur mechanic like me to fit.

RNB, Fingers, Xecute, Addo, pumbaplus and all the others who have given me instructions, advice and encouragement: Good-onya.

I will report back with progress and answer any questions. Lets keep them old Fords alive.

Dom

You and Gassed 250 prove there is life in Canberra, even though the "Private Bin" is long gone. :( ;)

While you've done all those fun things, my XP has sat and sat and sat...

There is a lot of life in Canberra. Lately I've been too busy playing with my silly old car to appreciate it. I have to take the LPG tanks (2) out this weekend so I can get them tested. My life is a never ending party.....

Dom

Back