All Small Six 170 Offy triple carb mods

This relates to all small sixes
I'm in the process of modding my 170, and want to venture into the Offenhauser triple carb setup, not just for looks and increased performance but to expand my knowledge of the Ford Six. I've run dual carbs on small block Chevys, so linkage , tuning, and beefing up the guts of the 170 are all covered.
I'm trying to find instructions, expertise, or a point in the right direction for how to remove the log head and machine the head face to accept the Offy intake.
Any help, advice, and words of caution are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Tri-Power Offy adapter used on early round manifolds used a clamp, later ones require some machining and/ or careful filing'

. .

The Offy linkage can be set (and re-set), from synchronous operation of the three carbs variable to having the Outer carbs open at any degree of primary-Center carb. The outers' throttle opening rate also can change from gradual to snap-open at any point. (enabling hours and hours of tuning fun). A 'kick in the pants' secondaries open @ 2/3 throttle for street and full synchro' carbs at the track can be done.

have fun

encouraged the 3 X 1 is optioned.,the Offy' setup is a proven performance upgrade IF built as specified. The Offy adaptors are periodically available but obtaining their linkage is also recommended IMHO' ...

a packaged set I have of the OFFy 3X1 linkage (which includes some carb fuel lines), has same part # as headers (?)

... once fabbd' a 2X3 Plenum too sit on top of the Offy 3X1. Like to see' the log manifold made into a multi-carb planed - Plenum ...

one big 2Bbl was easier to tune and did run well, but wasn't faster ... ,

hav e fun

powerband, very nice Tri-Carb setup. Years ago, I was looking at the Offy to put on a 63 Sprint convertible. I miss that car. Most fun car I ever had. It was not fast but she sure was beautiful and got good mileage.

Had many good times at Lebanon Valley Speedway. In September went up to Nassau, NY in Rensselaer county to see family and it was good to see the Speedway is still open. Can’t believe it’s been over fourty years since I been there.

Back in the 70’s and early 80’s we used to get ready in a day advance. Had to install catch pans for the radiator and draft tubes before getting on the track. We used to get there early and do our runs. When finished, we drove back west on Route 20 and stop at Kinderhook Creek campground just off Route 66 and have a barbecue while fishing for Trout. I wonder if the campground is still there? Those were the days.

I see Stewart’s convenience stores are all over the place. Back in the day I think there were only three. Miss those buttered hard rolls.

Last edited:
match correct of 2 Offie's to your yr head (as above, powerband?) as there R 2. Get that center carb optimal (test & run, idle, WOT, tune) before concentrating on the others ("followers') eh?

I like it as it doesnt have the full Offie intake, more like
the direct mount. I wuz gunna say "Put that on the ThriftPowered trike"
but dont C that in ur sig.

OK, not confusin U wid da others~

er, ah, um:
"Yup dats me"
?
(C how I get my thread count up? Bubs duz it the hard [helpful] way)
aahahahaa

I have been gone for quite some bit (kids were born, life got busy)...

Anyways, I still have my '66 with the Offy on it and some Clifford parts. If anyone wants pictures of the Offy I can take them. The Mustang has been on the lift for 10 years but my now 16 yo son wants to work on it with me. Since it already has the 5 lug rear, I have a CSRP brake kit to get the front to 5 lugs and 4 wheel discs. I want to keep the 6 cyl in it, everyone does the v-8 swap.

I was also pleased to see they clutch/pressure plate and throw out bearing are being made again, since that is what originally sidelined the car.

Bill

I can't remember which magazine it was but back in the 60's one ran an article about installing a three carb setup on a falcon six it was by AK Miller and covered all the steps to do it, I can't remember if it was for the offy setup or the autolite version but they were pretty similar. I can't remember for certain but am thinking it was Hot Rod.

is here at 'articles' or 'media' (the drk blue horrizontal line @ this page's top) no?
Benifits of frd6 membership
8^ )

Back