All Small Six Help finding an adapter for Autolite 1100 to later engine

This relates to all small sixes

abcdefghii

A few weeks ago the 200 6 cylinder in our 67 Mustang started knocking, that engine is currently out and hoping to go through a rebuild. Unfortunately we found out that the cylinder head has a crack that cannot be repaired, picked up a 2nd engine, only to find that the head on that one is also cracked.

In the meantime and to get the car running we picked up a 3rd running 200 that we were told came out of a 66. While the engine is in the car and runs strongly, we are having an issue with the carb that came on our original 200. The intake manifold says "7C2 D78E 8090 AB" see picture.

3u9onog.jpg

Can anyone identify that intake? Is there an adapter available that I can use to mount my existing carb? The 3rd engine did come with a carb, but the linkages are all different to those in the 67 so I cannot use it.

So... there you have it, hoping for some help to get this up and running.

Edit: OK, found this https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/1v-carb-adaptor-small-1v-to-large-log which I believe will work for what I want.

Thank you.

Last edited:
that should work fine , OEM adaptor' - probly diffficult to find a usable one.

'like all the collectin' engines and swappin' good parts ...

FYI - your Ford numbers - D78E ( the '8' probly a 'B') reveal a 1977 era head casting with likely OEM @ 62cc compression chambers in the head for CR figgerin'. ( if not already milled )

. .
have fun

like all the collectin' engines and swappin' good parts ...

Thanks, yeah it's not exactly easy finding good parts for the 6 (I guess most people swap for a V8 and toss the 6 aside). The end goal is to get the car up and running with a sort of mash up of good working parts. Then take the time to rebuild the original engine with some upgrades along the way, before swapping that back in at some point down the line.

Does anyone know typically how long Vintage Inlines take to ship parts? Trying not to be impatient, but I placed the order Wednesday morning and it's now Friday and I have heard nothing. I had hoped with me ordering early Wednesday that it might have shipped out later Wednesday or Thursday and likely be with me this weekend (MI to VA) but that is looking increasingly unlikely.

They do have a message at the top of the page saying some parts are taking longer to get, but no indication that the adapter is one of those parts. So, just curious if anyone knows how long do they typically take to ship.

no, I don't but it has slowed since covid (& during). The world seems changed & our bud, an otherwise full X employee, has the supply chain issues a smaller (he's NOT Summit who treats me w a y beddah den Amizone) specialty company would. Post a DM to him on the site. He responds ina day or 3. Think if you (or me) were offering something like he is...

Also: "...says "7C2 D7xxxx..."
no, sez "D7xxxx" meaning (D = 70s decade, 7= yr of that decade). We call the 'intake' - 'log' as thats is name from long ago. Here's some stuff of interest (history, development, function and design, etc) to me. May B not U? Just slow ya down/get in the way?
& frm our/this site:

Separate point: here's hopin you dont trash the other motors. Stuff is getting hard to find. Example - I hada go to Saskatchewan for a late model cable throttle for my early model conversion (dont like Lockar - look, price, more...

Last edited:
no, I don't but it has slowed since covid (& during). The world seems changed & our bud, an otherwise full X employee, has the supply chain issues a smaller (he's NOT Summit who treats me w a y beddah den Amizone) specialty company would. Post a DM to him on the site. He responds ina day or 3. Think if you (or me) were offering something like he is...

Yeah, covid really did a number on everything and it's unlikely ever going back. I get it, being a small business and so on, was just hopeful to have had the car up and running over the weekend. Certainly not a big deal, it shipped out Saturday and should be here today.

Also... no plans to trash the other engines. Technically the car is my sons and he eventually wants to put a V8 in there, but I keep trying to persuade him to keep the 6 for the rarity value of it. Sure, it'll never sound as cool as a V8, but IMO (and I get it is not a fast car) it is plenty fast enough for the car and cruises along nicely.

Adapter arrived and fits perfectly. But, I need some help in figuring out carb gasket sizes, I believe I will need one to go under the carb itself and then another to go under the adapter. The one to go under the carb I believe should be Fel-Pro 13130, but I am not sure what size should go under the adapter.

I think that I need a Fel-Pro 60269, however I am not sure and since I need to order any part, want to be sure I order the correct one.

Thanks.

If your carb is the stock unit for the 67 200 engine, I'd think that you need the Felpro 5462 between the carb and the adaptor. As far as the gasket between the adaptor and the intake, I believe you need the spacer-to-intake manifold gasket for the later manifold, Felpro 60328. They're pretty inexpensive and it may be prudent to order a few of each.

Ended up just using some gasket material and making my own, was available locally and saved me needing to order anything. Only things left to do are figure out the vacuum line routing, got a line coming up from the transmission that seems to only reach where the PCV is, but I am pretty sure that needs to hook up beneath the carb, as well as a brake line and the PCV hose itself. I think they all connect beneath the carb, at least that's what it looked like from a picture I found yesterday.

But I need to figure out a solution to actually hooking it all up. In the picture I posted above, between the carb and the log you can just sort of see a small section of rubber hose, this just seems to make a loop up and back. I think I need to remove that and hook the transmission line, brake line and PCV all in that area.

"...keep the 6 for the rarity value of it. Sure, it'll never sound as cool as a V8, but ..."
o0OP, ur on the wrong site to say that 8^ )
* rare, no, dont think so, too many around for most.
* value, if in dollars, no, dont think so. (as in "fine', "good" yes. As in more 'bang for the buck', deffinatly!)
I could B wrong on both accounts.
sound? now there's no math involved there but I like a 4 or 6 when exhaust pipes are tuned (pulses matched not crossed)
beddah den da bent8...
I know, I know - this comment goes on Gassoline Alley or Saloon 8^ 0

Yeah, maybe I should have said "arguably never sound as cool as a V8" since I have heard a couple sound really sweet.

As for rarity, yeah not really thinking in terms of it being worth more (although I do wonder if original 6s will be worth more eventually). From my experience, there are, at least in this area, far far fewer 6 cylinder Mustangs around than V8's. We were up at Carlisle earlier this year and including us, I think I counted 2 other 6 cylinder Mustangs from 65 through 69.

"...We were up at Carlisle..."
B great to find out how many werent there (more made, no?) bet
bubs'd have an answ...

"... I do wonder if original 6s will be worth more eventually..."
I see more ching exchanged for oem/original cars than those w/alota "bolt ons", mods,
moves away from the car as it was. Purchase cost and value is another that can throw the
"value" wrd akimbo. I better 'drop it' as this might B more 4 the Gasoline Alley or Saloon forums...

Last edited:
B great to find out how many werent there

I mean sure, you could look at it that way, seems to me though that if you have 500 cars and only 2 of those have a 6 cylinder in them, being pretty sure that if you put 100 people in a room and asked them if they want a I6 or a V8 Mustang, you might get 1 or 2 say the I6 and the rest will all say V8, of those saying V8, they would remove the I6 to swap in the V8 given the chance, that ultimately, despite how many were originally made with the I6 as things stand today, the I6 is a rarer vehicle. One just has to look at the amount of aftermarket parts for the I6 vs the V8 to see where most people fall.

Everyone on this site falls into that 1 or 2% who would keep the I6. I'm one of them, I'd no doubt keep it.

I see more ching exchanged for oem/original cars than those w/alota "bolt ons", mods,

Here's where we agree, OEM / original cars are always going to be worth more, given that, again, just my personal experience, most people will dump a 6 out of a car if they can put in an 8, an original 6 I could see being worth more in the future.

In your area, maybe this is completely different, but certainly for me, that's how it is.

thnx 4 da post back.
Just for fun (again might B beddah 4 this conversation 2B in sallon/gasoline alley) and due
to ur continued posts I looked up
'69 mustang':
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, 2-Fastback Coupe, 63A - 61980 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, Deluxe Hardtop with bench seat - 504 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, Deluxe Fastback - 5958 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, Hardtop with bench seat - 4131 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, Deluxe Convertible - 3439 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, total production - 299824 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, 2-door Mach I Fastback, 63C - 72458 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, 2-door Grande Hardtop, 65E - 22182 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, 2-door Convertible, 76A - 14746 units
  • model year 1969 - Ford (USA) Mustang, Deluxe Hardtop - 5210 units

I cant tell what it means re i6/bent8
but the '66 =
"...model year 1966 - Ford (USA) Mustang, total 6-cyl. - 253,200 units; model year 1966 - Ford (USA) Mustang, total V-8 - 354,400 units; model year 1966 - Ford (USA)..."
ford ended merican production of automotive i6 in '96 w/our 300 (or 4.9 by then) efi-ed.
Cheb came out w/one later tho, short run, Vortec...
Where's bubs when we need him? ALL HAIL TO THE CHIEF !

Back