All Small Six Harmonic balancer...nickel plating

This relates to all small sixes

Robandhooch

Subscriber
So, first off, i hope this is in the right spot in the forum, if not sincere apologies.

I'm rebuilding my 76 granada, and a buddy of mine has nickel plated all my accessories, fan, etc. To make it match, i'm going to attempt to nickel plate a damper for it. I purchased a "NOS" damper that looks to be in good shape, and will be practicing on this one to prove concept. the plan is to paint the machined surfaces to avoid plating them, blast all the paint off areas i want plated, plate it, and then come back with solvent and clean up the machined areas...

Any thoughts?

Pictures to come when i'm back in the shop and unsick

Its probably a good thing to be concerned with, but not sure chemical interaction between the two. Just talked with Jamie(plater), and as it sits it's barely acidic. Temperature is more what i'm worried with. Plating is at 295, rubbers melting point starts at 356 theoretically. Bath would be an hour

I’m sure there’s an adhesive that bonds the rubber to the metal parts. The balancers are known to slip too. Not sure if plating will make it more likely. How about nickel like spray paint? Being that it’s not right on top of the engine, you might get away with a spray paint.

Mehhhh, im not much for spray paint, unless its for priming nerd miniatures...

Based on what I'm finding the rubber should have good resistance to mild acids, but the temperature is really what I'm worried with at this point.

I'm going to probably just going to have to put a nice chisel mark on the backside of both pieces, strip it down, paint the rubber mating surfaces, plate it, blast the painted surfaces,, and then send it off to damper doctor to re-life it.

Goal is 1mil coating so shouldn't throw much off

They don't hold up well to hydrocarbons, so I'm going to try to separate the two pieces using a gasoline bath for a week or so

Electroless Nickel ? may be better
just figured out the reply button!

I wish i knew more about it to be honest, he mainly does downhole tools for oilfield, so it's not the fancy shiny nickel by any stretch of the mind. i honestly really think its going to look cool when its all together.

for example, here's the biggest ball valve i've ever seen, and the valve cover

Attachments

• output_image1714423500753.jpg
    output_image1714423500753.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240429_181426.jpg
    20240429_181426.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
So talking back and forth with Damper Doctor, they say send it to them first, then go ahead and plate it when I get it back from them. Going to go ahead and give it a go, ill let you know how it comes out and if I see any issues after plating

Back