All Small Six Fuel pressure creep/heat soak issue

This relates to all small sixes

ShotgunPete

Hi, I'm having issues whereby fuel drips into the carb venturi a minute or so after the car is shut down. After a lot of reading I believed it was heat soak and have tried a number of things, spacer, reducing heat near the carb etc. but I recently noticed it happening even if I run the car for a couple of minutes so now thinking it is fuel pressure related.
I replaced the original Holley 1bbl with a Daytona universal carb as I couldn't source another Holley. Can't recall the fuel dripping in the old Holley but could always smell gas but it did leak. I contacted Daytona carbs and they provided some good info on heat soak. New carb seems to run well but I noticed the smell of gas after using the car and initially thought I had a leak and that's where I discovered it dripping into the carb venturi.
When I first got the car it had a small fuel pressure regulator where the inline filter normally goes toward the front above the rocker cover, without it the carb would flood out of the top of the bowl, seemed odd as everything is pretty much standard, or so I thought.
I found a receipt for carb rebuild and fuel pump replacement. It's the dual pump/wiper unit. I tested and the output fuel pressure is 6-7 psi it should be between 3.5 - 5.5psi. I added a Holley fuel pressure regulator, tried a few different pressures but same issue, pressure is retained in the system no flooding, but the dripping still happens. I'm thinking the fuel pump needs to have a lower output, and the common replacements these days seem to say from 4 psi with questionable reviews regarding quality as not US made etc.
I was led to believe the engine was 170 but it turns out to be a 200, not sure if there are any differences regarding fuel pumps and output pressures. I want to keep the car as original as possible, so not keen on a return line or electric pump.
Any thoughts suggestions?
Cheers

Hi, my first guess would be the float level is too high. On some other carbs there could be a problem with the bowl vents, but I don't think that would be causing your trouble. Good luck

Back