All Small Six 170 thermostat temp?

This relates to all small sixes

Dunk

Probably a can of worms but better than an oil thread I suppose for the start of winter. What temp thermostat should I run in a 170? Manual for '64 lists low temp and high temp (presumably 180* or 195*). I'd think 195* should be better for reduced engine wear and increased economy, as well as more heat for those top down winter days. 180* maybe for a tick more performance if jetted appropriately for a more dense charge through the tiny restrictive log.

Reason I ask is I have the heater box out of a '64 Falcon for a rebuild, replace a seized blower motor, as well as change the failed coolant temp sensor. Coolant was dirty when draining, flushed out a lot of crud and checked temp with IR gauge while flushing with some cycles to temp but it never got to temp idling. 140*-150* at thermostat housing and along driver side of head back to coolant temp sensor. Gauge works with new sensor, highest I saw was barely touching the low end of normal range. Figuring it's a stuck open thermostat or PO removed it. Considering whether to get a 180* or 195* thermostat. Thoughts?

Hi, I have run the 180* for a long time. If a guy wants to run a 195* go for it. I like the Motorcraft thermostats. They are better than most on the market. I get mine at Napa. If you want to try a very good cooling system flush check out the Mercedes citric acid flush. Good luck

I would start with something mid-range, say 180. Go from there depending on your climate. Robert Shaw thermostats are really close in tolerance range if you feel like spending the money; easily 25 or so dollars. Stant is reliable. try to get something heavy-duty. Motorcraft if there is even one to be had would be good also.
There were some thermostats that were rated high temp which could be 205.

What temp thermostat should I run in a 170? Manual for '64 lists low temp and high temp (presumably 180* or 195*).
The factory thermostat options were 160° and 190°, per the FSM. I run 160° in most engines except emissions cars, and the engines love it but winters here are mild, only down to around 20° at times. Only reason to run a hotter T-stat would be for the heater, so 180° or 190° if you have bitter cold and need to clear your windshield quicker or warm your muffins. I always buy quality 'stats, and high-flow rated.

Back