All Small Six Cam degree off?

This relates to all small sixes
The stock Enginetech 256 large log cam and the 260 Comp Cam that I bought had the same casting numbers.
On the Casting Numbers being the same this is because there is basically only one company that makes all of the Camshaft Blanks that all the Cam Companies use.

On the Casting Numbers being the same this is because there is basically only one company that makes all of the Camshaft Blanks that all the Cam Companies use.
My practicle experience showed that Enginetech can grind or have a cam ground without any base circle run out.
The 260 Comp Cam had a base circle run out of .006 for about about 30 degrees.
No way was I going to install the Comp Cam. The smaller base circle on the higher lift Comp Cam looked pretty scary to me.
I didn't want a lobe to go flat and ruin the engine or have a rough idle do the base circle run out on the intake lobes.
I didn't want Comp Cam to send me another 260 cam because most likely they had a large batch of the 260 cams that were defective.

ergo da recent shortage/slo dwn of all the cam companies production'n sales... yuck !

The small six will run great with a stock 256 large log cam and stock timing chain and sprockets.
I read that the Cam Companies on-shelf cams are farmed out.
Who knows who grinds them!
They may be ground overseas in China.

I think they grind them from 1 co's supply of cam blanks (sure some grind off shore)
but really believe the early timing set (pre smog 2 gears, chain) to B superior (esp
on 250). Was it '69-71? I think I advanced it for the low end grunt off rd.

U can go double roller chain on the 200.

Back