Flywheel and Torque Converter Application

200ci66

Hello, I have a 1966 block with a 1971 C4 transmission. I'm wanting to put a new flywheel and a higher stall converter in my car. Am I correct to say that when purchasing a torque converter for a C4 I am looking for a 26 spline instead of a 24? And am I shopping for a 1966 6cyl flywheel or has anything changed since my transmission is a different year?

You won't be shopping for a flywheel since you have a c4. A flywheel is for a manual transmission. All you will need is the torque converter!

The flexplate is welded on to the converter. After 1970, they were all 26 spline I think. So a MustangGeezer type is what you want.

Don't be afraid of a high stall item, the Pinto and early Ford i6 converters can be rework well, and funace blzaed back to better than stock strength if done right.

You'll have to click on to a former MustangGeezer post, and he's got a supllier who helped him out. Car does mid 13.5's because i=of it.

Don't fear the gear!

So essentially I buy a 26 spline torque converter and I have everything I need? I'm looking at a 3500 rpm stall. I've always had a vibration around the torque converter, so I figured I'd pull it out and put a better brand new one back in place.

Mustang_Geezer, que the underscore, baby!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66238&start=50

Mustang_Geezer":3jlgrlm9 said:
New rebuilt 10" hi stall torque converter (3700 rpms)

HPIM2284-1.jpg

New Allstar Performance V8 Aluminum radiator. No more overheating when I beat on it! Hardest thing was fabbing the brackets for the bottom of the radiator. Hoses are still on the right sides and I was lucky enough to find a upper hose that was a perfect fit and used a flex hose on the bottom.

No trans cooler in the radiator, I use a seperate tranny cooler behind the grill.

Later,

Doug

From Precision Converters of Ohio and its called a "beefy boy" converter and it was formerly 3000-3300 stall. Its a 10" converter. He got it replaced, must have been,....too hard on it. You know what 235 flywheel bhp engines are like...

There are other suppliers too, like

wsa111":3jlgrlm9 said:
All the trans info is well and good, but the problem is in the converter.
Doug just needs a decent converter.
Tony-aka crosley works at a trans shop, maybe he can help you.
How about Phoenix trans in texas, they can build you the converter for you.
FSD has used the pinto converter, but that is probably not compatible with the six cylinder flex plate.

wsa111":3jlgrlm9 said:
Doug, i hope the debris from the converter didn't clog up the valve body or crap out metal to your cooler & elseware.
That sucks cause you were knocking on 13's door.
I wonder if Alex Denysenko could fix you up with a decent converter.
Do you have the 24 spline or the 26??
I hope you don't have to pull the trans & clean out all the metal from the junk converter. Best of luck, Bill

http://www.moneymakerracing.net/contact_us

to answer the question, yes you want a 26 spline converter since the transmission is a post 1970 model.

Back