All Small Six C-4 torque converter w/ 200ci Question

This relates to all small sixes

Goldie

We are looking for a torque converter for our rebuilt C-4 trans to go behind our high perf six build. Wanting a 2500 stall speed converter with the ring gear welded on to the converter. Called Summit and spoke to their techs and they claim this is an oddball converter and something they don’t carry.

I should add that this is the small bellhousing C-4. 24 spline, 132 tooth ring gear.

Any recommendations are appreciated. This is for a 65 Mustang fastback.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There aren’t very many places left that will do a Custom 200 Six Torque Convertor but Hughes Performance can make you one. They are located down in the Phoenix Az. area here is their Web site link. https://www.hughesperformance.com/tc-stall/
When I talked to them around 3 months back about making me a 200 Six TC for the 65 project Mustang I am working on. They said their custom Street Performance Torque Convertor for a Ford C4 200 Six is made to order (it would have a 400 to 500 RPM Higher Stall) and it would be be $507.76 this also including the shipping to my shop in Flagstaff, AZ. I didn't go any further on it since I didn't yet know about the size Input shaft for the C4 was going to used. The Strongest Stock C4 Input Shaft is the larger Diameter 1971 up C4 Input Shaft with 26 Splines on both ends. The 1964 to 1969 Input has a smaller Diameter with 24 Splines on both ends and then there is the odd one used in 1970 it has the 24 Spline on one end and a 26 Spline on the other. That one might let you be able to use the later Model Torque Convertor's (that are much easier to find) on a 1964 to 1969 C4 without needing to change out the Front Drum to a 1971 up one. They should also be able to make some higher Stall TC's too if you want to ask them.

Some other C4 items that you might look into for a Performance Built C4.

The 1964 to 1966 Duel Range C4 don't shift very well what I like to do to Fix that is to use the what Ford did and use the 1967 to 1969 Select Shift Valve Body and also install a TransGo Shift Improver Kit.

I found a used 1967 to 1969 Select Shift C4 Valve body Core Here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175492717672?hash=item28dc2e5c68:g:1qgAAOSwDPNjdXnD&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoDpI2SzyL5FQ/MxciKS1N/gixcKZAwZvVal75ioeQcQDV4RytrX6LMpOhN9n0IqN1sTaiCt/XQ7NpxH0IEtQpKg35uHktt3C2UqBj69Raty7FnVHCL3h4fdA21h784IHUnRbY3znUeZRFIFCcoXeZ7uLGaSOZbwTq76h19W6It6DHPhlQpAtIgFHsmkRf6dyWRmgf9fPUet/P3HUo/4VknI=|tkp:Bk9SR9TszbqQYQ

TransGo 47_1 Shift Improver Kit Info is here.
https://transgo.com/product-details/47-1/

The Letter A C4 Servo Cover and Piston gives you more Band Holding Pressure and also a Quicker Band Release. I found a used A C4 Servo here like the one I looked at.

I also use a Small Aux, Trans Cooler to help the Trans live its longest life.
Something like this, Hayden Rapid Cool Transmission Cooler part number 677. $44.99
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-677?rrec=true

Also 10 or 12 Quarts of Trans Fluid Type F, Good Luck

Bubba22349,

Many thanks for all the info and options. Looks like I’ve got some homework to do.

You’ve got a ton of experience which brings me to another question. If we convert the C-4 to the larger bell housing, what flywheel do you use?

There is only one C4 Bell Housing that fits all most all of the small six's 144's, 170's & most 200's, that is the one you already have, (The Exception is the rarer 1982 200 Six Big Bell Short Block that was made for use with the C5 Auto Trans). There is a also a way to use an adapter plate then to use the common 6 bolt SBF V8 Bell Housing than you could use the V8 parts it would require a special Drilled Flex Plate to hook up the TC. What would be the reason you want to use a Bigger Bell Housing?

There is only one C4 Bell Housing that fits all most all of the small six's 144's, 170's & most 200's, that is the one you already have, (The Exception is the rarer 1982 Big Bell 200 Six Short Block that was made for use with the C5 Auto Trans). There is a also a way to use an adapter plate then to use the common 6 bolt SBF V8 Bell Housing than you could use the V8 parts it would require a special Drilled Flex Plate to hook up the TC. What would be the reason you want to use a Bigger Bell Housing?
The reason we thought of the larger bell housing would be only for the purpose of more easily finding a 2500 stall converter.

We will call Hughes tomorrow. There is also a converter mfg in FL that I found tonight that makes a converter for our trans too. It has the stock stall however, so we aren’t sure if they might be able to make a custom converter. They are on our list to call tomorrow too.

Call Ultimate Transmissions (208) 631-2133 and ask for Dave. They build nice converters in house and if it can be done Dave is the one that can make it happen. I'm sure shipping will be costly.

Spoke to Florida Torque Converter this morning. They are relatively close and can turn this around for us quickly. We are sending them our core. They will rebuild and change stall to 2500. Converter will have a lifetime warranty also. All for $499 +shipping. They will even send me a call tag so that I can ship my converter back to them and have the discounted rate with UPS. Otherwise, I am at the mercy of our local UPS stores prices. They are also an eBay seller with over 3500 sales and 100% positive rating. That makes me feel a little more comfortable in using them. Gary and I appreciate the help from this group. You guys are the best!

Spoke to Florida Torque Converter this morning. They are relatively close and can turn this around for us quickly. We are sending them our core. They will rebuild and change stall to 2500. Converter will have a lifetime warranty also. All for $499 +shipping. They will even send me a call tag so that I can ship my converter back to them and have the discounted rate with UPS. Otherwise, I am at the mercy of our local UPS stores prices. They are also an eBay seller with over 3500 sales and 100% positive rating. That makes me feel a little more comfortable in using them. Gary and I appreciate the help from this group. You guys are the best!
Excellent! Can you post their contact info?

This is all good info. I will be looking into a new converter soon also. I just don't know what stall to go with.

This is all good info. I will be looking into a new converter soon also. I just don't know what stall to go with.
They have tech people who can help with recommendations if you disclose engine specs and the type of driving that you are doing with the car. Initially, after discussing my specs, they were recommending 3200+/- stall speed, but after explaining that I was NOT going to be drag-racing the car and wanted for mountain cruises with lots of twisties, they agreed that my idea of 2500 stall was a good one.

They have tech people who can help with recommendations if you disclose engine specs and the type of driving that you are doing with the car. Initially, after discussing my specs, they were recommending 3200+/- stall speed, but after explaining that I was NOT going to be drag-racing the car and wanted for mountain cruises with lots of twisties, they agreed that my idea of 2500 stall was a good one.
Just for data, did they give you price on the 3200 stall speed?

That price does not include shipping, which is also extra. To save a little bit of money, we had them send us a call tag so we could use their shipper number to send back our converter. They will add the cost of the shipping to our final invoice. I figured since they had an account, that would be a lot cheaper than if we went to our local UPS store. They actually were very accommodating.

Back