All Small Six Scored a '77 200/automatic for my '60 Ranchero!

This relates to all small sixes

karkev

What a long strange trip it's been! I've looked for over a year for an engine with no luck until today! Engine is a 1977 200 with C4 (?) automatic out of a Granada. Some time about 1990 the engine went into a 1966 Mustang and stayed there until 2016 when the newest owner wanted a V8 installed. Wiki suggests this is a pretty good incarnation of the breed....? I don't want to utilize the original Granada ignition "brain box" ignition and distributor. Maybe a retro points distributor upgraded to pertronix? Did I do okay, friends? Is it a good fit for my Ranchero? I gave $550 for the mess like 20 miles from my house!!!20240120_152820.jpg

The Ford DSII ignition is a pretty good system. Better than a retrofit Pertronix, IMO. If everything was sourced straight from a Granada it likely also runs a HOlley 1946 carb.
I've had a DSII + Holley 1946 combo in my Squire for 20+ years now. The OEM DSII units are absolutely trouble free. It's is about as reliable a combo as you can get for a daily driver. And, you already have it in hand.

Rick(wrench)

Wiki? Don't you have a copy of the Falcon Six Performance Handbook? But that engine is a good score. Do you plan on rebuilding it before installation?

Fellas, thx! Got a copy of the book coming! I need a flexplate for the C4, part # ATP Z232 - they ain't hen's teeth unobtanium snake roller skates are they?

You found a copy of the Falcon Six Performance Handbook!! Congrats.

Man tell me where you found it because I have searched and searched the net and all say “out of stock”.

Any help appreciated.

good score - reasonable price... . Yes the '77 will have larger Carb port and carb choices, larger valves than early motors, as mentioned the Duraspark distrib' is considered a favorite. The DS' Distrib' can work with many types ign. modules, 1977 may have the DSI (cant see in pic) with same as points cap and wires.
'
'76 200/C4 from Comet GT with DSI Distrib' and GM HEI 4 Pin ign module
I use the simple GM type 4 Pin on my builds with Duraspark Distrib, Pertronix version has programmable Rev Limiter..
. . .

Last edited:
My friend has a 62? Ranchero with 200/C4. Might be able to drop it in and go.

From what I see online the ATP Z232 flex plate has a ring gear on it.
No high starter 200 C4 flex plate has a ring gear on it,
The ring gear is on the converter.
The early Falcon 2 speed automatic uses the same flex plate as the high starter small pattern C4.

Last edited:
The HEI distributor may look a little funny, but the install can't be easier and really works well, instant starting, hot spark...

Back