Adjusting screws on CI/VI adjustable rockers - 1/2"-20

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

I have a set of 1.6:1 stamped steel adjustable rocker arms from Classic Inlines/Vintage Inlines. The adjusting screw thread is 1/2"-20. It's a ball type adjusting screw for use with ball and cup pushrods.

I was considering buying longer adjusting screws, but I can't find 1/2"-20 adjusting screws at all. What other (more common) engines are these rocker arm adjusting screws used on? Who manufactures them?

Thanks,
Bob

You will find these standard adjusting screws at better auto parts stores like NAPA. The Ford FE V8's used these same thread sizes, as well as the 144 & 170' inline sixes I think some real early FE engines 1958 and 1959 might have used a locking jamb nut to secure the adjuster but I could be wrong. But to the best of my knowledge there wasn't any longer adjusting screws made for the Fords you could look into other brands though. If you were able to find and use a longer screw this would likely not work out very well making the push Rod move in a bigger arc during the rocker movement it might also effect the geometry. If you are needing more lenght for adjustment beyond the stock adjusting screws than more than likely you will need to just get a set of longer push rods which is the common way to fix this problem. You might pick up an adjustable push Rod checker or make one so you can get an accurate measurement of what you need. Best of luck (y) :nod:

@bubba,

Maybe it’s a very early, long lost FE (like the 352) that used 1/2”-20 adjusting screws. I can’t find ANY of these, even of the same length, anywhere:

Crane cams
Comp cams
Rock Auto
Smith Bro’s
Speedway
Summit

The puzzling thing is that I bought those adjustable rockers in 2014, so someone was making the 1/2”-20 adjusting screws then.

Why they used 1/2”, rather than the much more common 3/8“ or 7/16” I can’t imagine.

If I broke or lost one I’d have to replace the whole adjustable rocker assembly, since it’s impossible to find the adjusting screws.

Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob, I used to buy the replacement adjusting screws or ordered them if not in stock for the (1960 to 1965) 144's, 170's, and 200 ajustable rockers (as well as many other engines) at my locale NAPA auto parts. You can also try RAU http://rockerarms.com that rebuilds the rocker arm assembly's ask if they will sell you some, I think they were the orginal dealer that supply'ed Classic Inlines (Az Mike) with his 1.5 & 1.6 ratio rocker arm assemblys. Good luck (y) :nod:

RAU is hard to find unless knowing the wrds ror the abreviataion.
I wuz thinkin of them & yella terra (or whatever that's called) too.

62Ranchero200":2mj8xeoz said:
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

I have a set of 1.6:1 stamped steel adjustable rocker arms from Classic Inlines/Vintage Inlines. The adjusting screw thread is 1/2"-20. It's a ball type adjusting screw for use with ball and cup pushrods.

I was considering buying longer adjusting screws, but I can't find 1/2"-20 adjusting screws at all. What other (more common) engines are these rocker arm adjusting screws used on? Who manufactures them?

Thanks,
Bob

Vee four Saab and Vee six Cologne engines used them.

Back