Clifford Performance

aknott1994

Has anyone here ran Clifford Performance parts? He says they have a blueprint to take a 250 to over 200hp and over 300ftlbs NA.

Howdy arknott:

Yes. In the early days of Falcon Six hot rodding Clifford's was one of very few parts sources. Clifford's started business with the logo "6=8". In the beginning Jack Clifford was it leader. It has since been taken over by Jack's son-in-law, Larry. Jack was a real participant in six cylinder performance and a promoter when sixes were considered not-worth-it.

Clifford's marketing has always suffered from exaggeration of performance gains. In the last 10 years or so it has lagged with following through with delivery and customer service.

It has also only been in the last 10 years or so that we have been blessed with passionate and knowledgeable providers of parts and information beyond Clifford's Performance.

As far as the claim of 200 hp from a 250, that is doable and has been done, and there are dyno results to prove it. I have not seen Clifford's blueprint so, no comment, but, check it out. Many knowledgeable folks here.

Adios, David

did I not see "500 Hp ina Oz 250 X-flow"? Like many other fields of inquiry one should consider what is known
by the vast majority of people in that field ("He can run a 1 min mi."; "C-19 is only in China.") until new provable info comes out/it is agreed to by the majority is shown by the experts. Some particular cases go against this line of reasoning. Lets keep our eyes open for them as that is when innovation is seen. Usually change is incremental - one small innovation is piled onto another, raising the whole...
Enough bloviate from this idle clam
:roll:
in short: "Not today"

In the area were I grew up it was one of the hot beds of some of the best in six cylinder racing with both Ak Miller's shop, K Sissell's shop near by and cars with Clifford Research parts all running at the locale drags those were some fun times. Jack Clifford was one of the masters of building six cylinder power designing and marketing his parts through his company Clifford Research 6 = 8 every so often one of his old catalogs is sold by online sources like eBay and others here's an example. http://www.2040-parts.com/clifford-rese ... -i1061128/

Those catalogs used to have those blueprints for the different six'es, and only a few years back they were still listed on the Cillford Performance web site. (You can also find those details in some articles on build Fords small six'es in the car magazines like Hot Rod, Mustangs, we might even have many of them here on our site see below link). However for the last couple years Clifford Performance doesn't even show listings of any parts for the small Ford 144, 170, 200, 250, six's on their web site its a bit strange. All I can say is be carful about Larry's claims. Best of luck on your build (y)

Magazine Articles on Building the Ford Small Six
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78168

All i can say they aint what they used to be. The one cam they have for the small ford six is not impressive.
Shop Vintage Inlines.

I've bought a few adapters and port dividers from Clifford Performance in past years but the online catalog now seems to be just using up parts on hand. The Ford small bock six is no longer really supported . As mentioned, thankfully other vendors have somewhat filed in what was an original supplier and builder for inline performance.

I believe i have one of the last small sixes that were built in the Jack Clifford shop. The Clifford 250 is a true period equipped full-tilt performance six. It was shipped from Clifford and mothballed for years after being built for a Maverick application, 'found it in the FCA classifieds'

. . .

. . . .

. .

PS The Clifford catalogs like other auto trade parts, tool and of course Calendars of the day 'marketing design' could be called automoto-erotica...

1974 !
. .

have fun

That is awesome, he said 240hp and 360tq now that I read the email. Even if it hits 200hp and 300tq NA I would be happy. I asked for the blueprint so we will see. For what I want to use it for it will need a little bit of power but it wont be a drag car or anything.

Back before the hotsixes.com forum shut down in Oz, there was a member named xrglen that was an engine builder and head porter there in Oz. He had many dozens of build threads of 250 engines he built for his customers that made 400-450 HP naturally aspirated. They did have crossflow heads, but it just shows that with those engines, a good cylinder head will take you to a much higher playing field.

X2. Even with the Dyno results that can be found in the archives you can see that even the aluminum head yields much better results than the log.

An old Hot Rod magzn - 1968 , revealing article about the enthusiast and innovator Jack Clifford from my archives:

. .

used to be on the website?

have fun

Back