Used Set of Aluminum Super Rods & Health Issues Update

bubba22349

Top Poster
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Departed Member
Due to mounting Heath issues have recently come to the realization that I probally won't be physically able to work on car projects much longer, so will be selling off all my remaining Auto Motive related Parts, Tools, and Equipment so my wife and daughters won't have to deal with all of it. If you are looking for something let me know.

I am putting this set of the Aluminum Super Rods used in a 300 Ford Big Six up for sale (see pictures below) the ones In the first picture are this set of rods the second picture is for referance shows the possable Rod and Pistons combos that can be used in the performance built 300 six'es. These rods are 6.780 long slightly shorter than the 240 Rod lenght, with a .927 pin (SBC size) and 2.100 bearing size by 1.025 wide on big end, has large 12 point cap screw rod bolts. They would need a piston compression height of roughly about 1.22 + or - or what ever the block deck height ends up at less than the stock 10.00. These were used in one of FTF 300 race motors some time back, they haven't been run since then. The rods have side chamfers on both sides so I don't know if they we're custom made for use a Ford 300 from the Chevy Aluminum Rod blanks or else the other chamfer was remachined afterwords. I assume that they work on the stock size Rod throws but if not it wouldnt be that hard to cut the crank journals if they needed to be a little wider for side clearance and also give them a larger radius chamfer when doing the re-machining of the crank journals to the SBC Chevy 2.100 bearing size which would be a good thing. I guess the Rod sides could also be cut down some too if needed. The set comes with a hand signed note by Greg (FTF) stating the specs of this set of rods and that they should be ready to run. If I remember correctly FTF told me that he ran these with a Chevy 302 Z28 spec. Piston that worked out to about 10.5 to 1, and that a zero pin offset piston would be best to use in the 300 Ford six. Make me a good offer on these aluminum super rods with some real racing history on them. Free pick up at my shop in Flagstaff Az, or you will need to also add the actual cost of your preferred type shipping to your location the set boxed up is very light so the cost shouldn't be all that much. (y) :nod:

Set of 6 Aluminum Super Rods for use in a 300 Ford Six Race Motor
https://s1133.photobucket.com/user/snru ... ort=3&o=15

curts56:1fbjhfyj said:
Stock on the left, Compstar in the middle, and Super Rod aluminum on the right (no longer available).

20200324010725-c546a691-la.jpg

Well, this is distressing news to hear.
The rods, lovely items, are nearly inconsequential compared to your health and your always warm welcome and efforts on our behalf here on this board.
I wish to you the very best, even though I cannot think of a use for the rods in a driven pickup no matter how I imagine I'd like to have them in the engine
Be good to yourself

Thank you for your best wishes sdiesel, there has been quite a bit of testing done on me in recent months detecting different Heath issues and trying to find the causes of my Symptom's. Major ones affecting me is a considerable loss of strength, energy, plus exhaustion from very little activity, several procedures have also be done since June with small improvements. The doctor now wants to put in a pace maker in mid Dec. Maybe that will help some, I have a hope that it will. Yes these aluminum rods are for race only use, I had a couple friends that ran them on the street in a performance car build but they were very limited use street racers. I used a set of the Mickey Thomsons aluminum rods back in the late 1960's A/G Willys in a Ford 427 SOHC. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (y) :nod:

Yes puller 9 that's diffenatly wrong. I just miked one and came up with 1.025 and my eyes arn't focusing the best tonight.

I sincerely hope there is progress on your health issues. I'm praying for a good outcome.

Those rods were made from Chevy 292 six blanks which are specified at 1.024" BE width.
The rod length is normally 7.130" so they simply machined the pin hole at 6.78" and called it good.

Hey Bubba, Wow, just came across this thread with your health news.
I just wanted to wish you well and let you know that I always hope for a reply from Bubba whenever I post some rookie question. And you always come through. I greatly value your generous, expert and patient feedback even though you've probably answered it a hundred times before. You da best!
Keep fighting kid!

Hi Paul, thank you for your kind words and prayers I do appreciate that very much. Here is the latest update on the Heath issues. At the last appointment I found out that the Cancer isn't spreading currently, so the doctor and I decided that no treatment is needed at this time, it will just be monitored for changes and checked again in 3 or 4 months, so that was very good news.

Couple years back they had diagnosed me with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) & A Fib, but they also said my heart is strong I am thankful for that. With severial different treatments tried for the CHF current one seems to be helping (extra dose of meds to help remove fluid around heat and full time use of oxygen) over the past couple months. The Treatment for the A Fib has been kind of hit and miss. For awhile I would just go in an out of the irregular heart beats only occasionly so they did nothing than in about. Jan. 2020 I went into full time A Fib, they then decided to do the first treatment back in Feb. 2020 it's what they call a cardio version basicly they stick a pad on your chest over your heart and one on your back hook up the jumper cables and shock your heart back into a regular heart beat, that lasted about 5 weeks. Then on May 28, they did a procedure called an ablation were they carderise a couple blood vessels going to the heart muscle which has the effect of giving you a regular beat this lasted 7 months. I felt lots better during those times the heart beat was normal and was able to go back to work part time.

I went itnto the hospital morning of Dec. 31, 20 for the pace maker install during the prep they found that I been a diabetic for at least 3 months and I was also back into full A Fib. Operation went very well and i was released the following afternoon, a week later was back on Thursday morning for another cardio version this one only lasted until last week Friday evening. So the pace maker seems to help quite a bit to control the times of very low heart beats and I only have a couple more weeks of limited use of my left arm and hopeless full recovery so that's also very good. The only bad thing is am back into full time A Fib I will be trying to contact my doctor to see what's next for that. I also am slowly learning how to deal with the diabetes and am quite hopeful, so far there has only a little bit of discomfort from that new med. This might turnout to be a major reason in way I had been feeling. I have been getting lab tests fairly offten to monitor how heart meds are working so don't understand how this went unnoticed for so long unless they just don't check for that. The other thing I think is that since the COVID stuff started you don't really get to see a doctor much for a regular yearly or 6 month check up, it's mostly Tel A Med now at least at the VA. Wow this is getting to be much to long, sorry about, thank you SweetSix and everyone for all the good wishes, prayers, I do have quite a bit more hope now this last 3 weeks now that I know what I am dealing with and that I can maybe get better again so we shall see. Robert Edited

No apologies for the length of your post.
The detailed health history is appreciated.
Again I have hopes and prayers for a good outcome.
Paul

Hey Bubba, isn't there some kind of mod u could come up with to advise those rookie Doctors- maybe oil, fuel, or water pump coupled with DSII electronic ignition? Sounds like they might need to hog out the carb hole maybe. Hell, I'm sure you could engineer it all into a lightweight, compact shoulder bag or a reinforced frame with stabilizers, struts, and updated C4??
Hey Brother, I'm hoping to make you smile and don't mean to be disrespectful or trite.
Sincere Best Wishes. We're pulling for you.

bubba i would like to buy these rods i was trying to PM you is this form trying to make me pay to send a message please let me no how i can pay you thanks billy.

Hi Billy, good to hear from you you. The site was just upgraded but you should be able to send PM's at no cost by clicking on the letter emblem in the top right hand corner of the page next to your log in name. If you have trouble finding that and you still remember my old email address you can also send it to me that way.

Hi Ford Sixers, here is the latest update on my Heath issues. I had some issues with the Diabetes meds they put me on in late Dec. first was giving me stomick upsets after a month tied a time release type but that wasn't working well either so pharmacist told me to stop talking it last wensday on Monday I started a new type so far seems to be much better. Within a couple days Ian's that med wore off started feeling like I used to and made me realize that I was probally Diabetic for quite awhile before they told me back on New Year's Eve they said atleast 3 months I think this could probally of been a year or more.

On Friday morning will be going back into hospital for another Ablation procedure to try and get my heart rate stabilized and will be kept overnight. If everything goes well I should be feeling much better again. During the pre opt call last week the nurse told me something new, that there was a hole in my heart that they had noticed during an echo test no one has ever told this before and might even of been from birth often they can go unnoticed. But it also makes sense in how they said the blood just circles around between the two upper chambers of the heart mixing parchally oxygenated blood with the unoxgenated blood. I guess there is a way this could be fixed not sure if they will be doing that at this point. I am quite hopeful that I am going to start feeling much better shortly. Thank you everyone for your best wishes, Robert

I am sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. One of my closest friends went to the UC Davis medical center for the ablation treatment and his A Fib has been fixed for well over a year now and he is doing good. Apparently they are very advanced in this procedure. Take care. David

HI David, UC Davis is very good, am very glad to hear of your friends success with his Ablation. Before I had that first one didn't know about them it did make me feel better for quite awhile. I think am fortunate that my doctor here is very good at doing them hope it works even better this time. Thank you very much for your kind words I do appreciate it very much, Robert.

I made it though the procedure and am out of the hospital, it wasn’t successful and went into A Fib that night or early Saturday morning. They plan another Cardio Version for about three weeks. Since I had limited success with two of those already I am not very optimistic right now, but will see when it happens.

Back