Ignition Control with Boost

powerband

2K+
VIP
On a parallel post, the MSD 6BTM box was recommended for an adjustable ignition retard - boost referenced system.

Info appreciated on 250 / 200 6BTM applications. With a DS-II distributor what else is needed ?.

Any viable small six alternatives to MSD box ( @ $ 500.oo . )

thanks

powerband":2810im4n said:
Info appreciated on 250 / 200 6BTM applications. With a DS-II distributor what else is needed ?.
MSD 8869 duraspark distributor to MSD adapter cable.
MSD blaster coil.
MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires.

If you run an MSD box and Blaster coil with regular high resistance plug wires you take the chance of carbon tracking the distributor cap and crossfiring cylinders. Been there done that.

AFAIK the MSD 6BTM is the least expensive way to have complete programable boost referenced ignition system.

How much boost are you looking at running?

How much boost are you looking at running? :

> Stock 250 with Vortech V2 can easily push more boost than currently can handle. DS-II is 'locked out' at @ 26 BTDC which kept safe through @ 5-8 PSI. With SC pulley ratio change, need better ignition advance control as engine components are also upgraded for more boost . AFR gauge still stays safe but detonation becomes evident when pushed . Currently kept rev limited to keep 250 together.

The 'red boxes' appear to still be only cost-effective solution . E-Bay often has used 'Vortech' branded ignition controllers oem'd by MSD - any good? (still needs an ign module)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VORTECH-SUPERC ... SwZghd~PD9

thanks

The 'Vortech' branded ignition controllers oem'd by MSD on Ebay is the MSD 8762 boost controller.
https://www.holley.com/products/ignitio ... parts/8762
It has been around for a long time and performs well.

It would need to be connected to a MSD 6AL to get similar features as the 6-BTM boost controller ignition box.

The differences would be that the 6-BTM box uses rpm plug in modules for the rev limiter while the 6AL uses built in rotary switches.
The 6-BTM delivers 110 millijoules per spark and the 6AL delivers 135 millijoules per spark.
The MSD 8762 boost controller and the 6AL have a total retail cost of $620.
The 6-BTM is $502.

The second possibility is the MSD 6530 which I have used before. $429
https://www.holley.com/products/ignitio ... parts/6530
You would need to add a MAP sensor and totally lock out the distributor advance.
You get to program the mechanical advance curve and the boost retard curve.
You also get 3 rev limits (Max, Burnout and Launch).
There is a programable launch retard and a programable step retard.
The Graphview software allows programing from a laptop.

I am usually hesitant to buy used ignition system components.

I am usually hesitant to buy used ignition system components.

,,, 8762 and retard controller cost make 6BTM the simple choice. I thought a few similar dashboard control advance devices would be available.

thanks

I'm planning on running this cheap HEI distributor I bought on amazon. Limit centrifugal advance and connect the vacuum canister to manifold boost/vacuum. Should give high advance while cruising off boost, pulling timing out as vacuum turns into boost. The motor is a stock 1970 250 otherwise with likely 140K miles on it so I'm not going to go crazy with the boost.

With regards to red boxes, I've had a MSD 6A and blaster coil with a pertronix style ignitor running on my 351C torino for 20 years now. Still works great definitely worth the price.

Back