Transmission upgrade

chiefdave

The trans in my '62 F100 w/223 I6 is getting pretty noisy so rather than rebuild I'd like to upgrade to a '63 or later with the syncro 1st gear. My main concern is not having to change the bellhousing and retain the 3 on the tree. Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and u-joints will be replaced while the trans is out. It would be nice if a later model drive shaft would slip into place so at to not have to modify the length of the old one.

:beer: This is an excellent plan the later 3.03 trans is way better shifting and stronger than the older 2.77 trans. You can certainly reuse the column shifter try using the later 3.03 rods for best fit or mod what you have to work. However the later 3.03 all sinc trans isn't going to just bolt up to the old 2.77 bell housing.

You could probally have the bell housing center hole machined out to the 3.03 size (and this is probally the best way) measure the bell housing hole diameter and the then the 2.77 front bearing retainer outside diameter the clearance difference you need to fit them. Next measure your 3.03 trans front bearing retainers outside diameter and have the bell housing center hole bored out so its the same amount of clearance.

Or you could maybe have the 3.03 front bearing retainer machined down to the size of your 2.77 trans front bearing retainers outside diameter but check to see if there is enough material there to do it safely. The 3.03 trans front mounting face can be drilled to match the 2.77 trans bolt patterns if it's happens to be one of the wide pattern type, also some first year 3.03 trans had the same small patteren as the 2.77. The easiest no modding way is to see if you can find the 1963 or 64 223 bell housing that fits the 3.03 trans or acquire them both togeather. The later driveshaft might bolt right in if both trucks are the same wheel base and have the same rear axle yoke length. Good luck on your swap. (y) :nod:

Back