ID transmission

chiefdave

My '62 F100 has had a transmission transplant and I'm trying to ID it. 3 speed manual with non-syncro 1st gear, not a top loader and a very short tail shaft. I did find a tag that is stamped T-4-B-1 on the top row and 8(or B)-15-A on the bottom row. Thanks in advance, Dave.

The description sounds like the stock Borg Warner 3 peed transmission that was used from the early 1950's until 1962 in the Ford pickups. Some pictures would be helpful. :nod:

bubba22349":3463788s said:
The description sounds like the stock Borg Warner 3 peed transmission that was used from the early 1950's until 1962 in the Ford pickups. Some pictures would be helpful. :nod:

I agree. It sounds like the exact same transmission in my '58 F-100 which is identified in the shop manual as "3-Speed Light Duty Transmission." The side cover should be flat across the bottom. From the parts manual: if the bottom of the side cover is rounded and droops down in the center, it would be the "3-Speed Medium Duty Transmission. The transmission code on the Rating Plate might be "A" (light duty) or "D" (medium duty) assuming they kept the same codes in 1962. From recollection, the light duty, short tail shaft were used exclusively with the 6 foot beds but I'm more familiar with '57-'60 than the '62 models.

If you post a picture of your Rating Plate in the 61-66 section of the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php) Bill, aka Number Dummy, will probably show up and offer to decode it completely and accurately.

Lou Manglass

Check the internet for pictures of Borg Warner T85 truck transmission.
I expect that will confirm it's identity.

Back