Weber 38/38 on a '62 223

chiefdave

I'm putting Clifford setup on '62 223 and when talking to the Clifford rep about where to hook up the PCV valve he said not to run one. How are crankcase vapors going to exit without a PVC or road draft tube? Will someone who has done this swap fill me in on proper installation? Thanks, Dave

Do NOT run your engine without venting the crank case no mater what Clifford says! I would run it to the intake like originally plumbed. Failure to do so will cause massive oil leaks from most lower seal surfaces.

X2 yes thats a totally ridiculous recommendation of not running a PCV system, personally I run them on everthing. Your 1962 depending on the DSO your truck was built for, it may of came with a factory PCV system when it was new (California had them back in 1961 by 1963 or 64 they were federally mandated and in all 50 states) so it shouldn't be all that hard to hook it back up with factory or aftermarket parts. Post some pictures of the intake and carb's there is going to be a way to easily install one. Check out the below video of one way a PCV system could be install on your intake, if you need any more help let us know. Good luck (y) :nod: Edited

Early PCV system
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK0wCX ... 64JFw/view

The old 223 and all other back in the day engines were before the day of pcv valves. just a valve cover breather or crankcase breather and out into the open air.
Dave

The PCV systems were started in the 60's, but my motors repair manual of 1961 don't show one and my 62 Falcon 170 doesn't have one.It probably would be illegal to disable one for street use. our circle track engines of the 60's 70's 80's and into the 90's were built without one. Check your laws, but think if it was made without one, it would be legal. Does your original set up have one? or just a breather?
Dave

Does your '62 223 currently have a road draft tube or PCV system? I think, as mentioned previously, it could have had either. If it was originally equipped with a road draft tube, it will still run like it was originally designed if you leave it that way. If it has a PCV, you need to hook the PCV valve to manifold vacuum. If you'd like to add a PCV system you will need: a different oil filler cap with a PCV valve grommet (I think a 302 cap might work), a hose to run from the valve to manifold vacuum, and something to replace the road draft tube. The road draft tube is placed and cut so that passing air draws vapors out of the engine through the tube. A PCV system will reverse the direction of the air. Keeping the road draft tube intact will stop any ventilation as the air will be trying to go in both directions at once. IIRC engines equipped with early PCV systems pulled filtered air in through the draft tube opening.

Good luck with it,
Lou Manglass

my way":knelf7ju said:
The PCV systems were started in the 60's, but my motors repair manual of 1961 don't show one and my 62 Falcon 170 doesn't have one.It probably would be illegal to disable one for street use. our circle track engines of the 60's 70's 80's and into the 90's were built without one. Check your laws, but think if it was made without one, it would be legal. Does your original set up have one? or just a breather?
Dave

Hi my way, thought this may be of interest to you on your 1962 Falcon 170. In the below video link you can see how an orginal 1962 Ford Falcon 144 engine with its PVC system still hooked up, a 1962 170 six would have exactly the same system. The Factory type PCV is hooked up just below the carb base for its manifold vacuum source other hose end goes direct to the block were the road draft tube hole that was used on the first 144 six 1960 to 1964 or the 1961 to 1964 170 engines. These first PCV systems are designed much different (flow path) from just a few years later. I don't know exactly when the rest of the country (49 states) but we had them in California very early even my 1961 Thunderbird had a factory Ford installed PCV system. A few years later California also required a PCV system retrofitted even on the early 1950's OHV engines that never had one as well as other retrofit emissions systems to be able to register and license cars and trucks for street use. Best of luck (y) :nod:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK0wCX ... 64JFw/view

I have a 61 f100 factory manual that shows the PCV valve ( positive crankcase valve) on the 223 and explains its function, it goes from the road draft tube hole on the block directly to the intake manifold. I cannot imagine it working any different in a sedan.

Yes for sue the PCV systems will all work the same way on trucks or cars. Some just have different parts (depends on the year & engine family) for the connection points and or the flow path / direction i.e. Early versions were adapted to be hooked up and drawing or pulling from the blocks at the old road draft boss hole. The newer systems are using the valve cover location and pulling from the top of the engine on about everything built from the 1965 models and newer. Also during this same time period the engines that continued on in service had their engine blocks redesigned by eliminating the old road draft boss hole. :nod: (y)

I should have mentioned in the original post that the engine has a PCV system and no provision for a draft tube. Larry at Clifford claimed the PCV would create a vacuum leak but I could not follow his reasoning. I converted my '49 flathead V8 to a PCV system and it didn't even change the idle speed or manifold vacuum. It did keep a lot of the combustion byproducts out of the oil and helped with oil leaks.

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll keep the system in place.

Interesting history. Always knew California was on emission things first.
My 62 i70 falcon has the block tube,a valve cover breather and no intake vacuum connection. think Bubba said that was standard on the 140 and 170 up to about 64. Got no problems with using what it came out with . Dave

Back