low fuel pressure regulator

fiddyfofoad

I see a lot of them out there, they either leak or pressure fluctuates, what one has anyone had good results with?

There was a huge discussion about this a few years back on this forum. If you wanna read it, try typing "regulator" in the search feature.
I'm guessing you are trying to keep the Holley 1904 from flooding in the wake of having to install a newer fuel pump.
I, myself and many others have tried to use fuel pressure regulators to correct this. All the ones I have tried including the more expensive Holley regulator failed or blew-up in short order.
I ended up placing a bypass filter in the fuel-line ahead of the carb, and ran a new return fuel line back to the gas tank. I also placed an orifice in the fuel-line just ahead of the carburetor. That was years ago, never had a problem since, but it was a lot of work refabricating the existing fuel-line and installing a return line. Also requires welding a short piece of 5/16" tubing to the back of gas tank, but I had a brand new gas tank out of the car, so that wasn't so bad. This was for '55 Ford Courier Sedan Delivery wagon with 223 I-block 6/Ford-O-Matic.

I’ve been using a Holley regulator that Summit has. Can’t remember the number but it has a range of 1-4 psi.
I run three Webber’s with no problem set at 3 psi with a electric fuel pump.

Let me put it this way;
I've had several of the cheap Mr.Gasket types, but some were similar, just a different brand name. All blew up in about a months time.
I had an expensive adjustable Holley regulator with integral fuel pressure guage and it blew up in short order also.
Prior to trying the regulators, my actual fuel pump diapragm actually exploded and started leaking tons of gas out on the road. And the engine still ran and idled fine because overpressure was being released.
Using rebuilt Holley 1904, you can allow about 2.5 lbs pressure into the float chamber.
The regulators can't handle that much pressure.
I took apart some of the regulators after they had failed and found that the cheap thin rubber diaphragms were stretched beyond the max due to the pressure they were holding back to keep the carb from flooding out. I had em set as high as I could and still keep the engine from flooding.

Back