distributor swap

fiddyfofoad

haven't posted in a long time, i'm wondering what my options are for replacing the load o matic dist on my 54 223 w/automatic trans?
would I be able to keep the holley 1904 and plug the vacumm port to the dist and plug the spark control valve? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Joe

you can convert a later ford1100 carb from scv/loadomatic to 'normal' ported vacuum for use with a mech advance distributer (and vac ).

so I assume that following the same investigation / principles you could do the same to a holley 1904

article here :

http://www.63fordfalcon.com/articles/au ... matic.html

as to if you can find a mech advance (non loadomatic) dist that fits in place of the loadomatic - I know not !

although from a quick google I see that there are mopar versions of the 1904 that have no SCV/loadomatic

ie this site here :

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Holley ... c_657.html

fiddyfofoad":3g9c5wl7 said:
haven't posted in a long time, i'm wondering what my options are for replacing the load o matic dist on my 54 223 w/automatic trans?
would I be able to keep the holley 1904 and plug the vacumm port to the dist and plug the spark control valve? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Joe

There are several Distribitor options for the 223 six'es. First would be putting a Pertonix Ignitor in the stock distrbitor with a hotter Blaster coil this is a little better than stock though still leaves lots to be desired as your still stuck with the LOD system. Second is to use one of the old Mallory Duel point distribtor's that can sometimes still be found used, these worked very well though still leaves something on the table. Thrid is using the (1968 to 1974) 240 / 300 point Distribitor a much better setup since it has the duel advance system. Forth is in my opion the very best ignition swap using the (1975 to 1984) 300 DuraSpark II Electronic Distribitor. The big six 240 / 300 Distribitor drive gear gets swaped out for the 223 drive gear then it's a drop in. You will also need to check that the 223 oil pump drive shaft size is the right size of 5/16, if not that will need to be adapted or swap out the oil pump to the 1964 whhich is a 5/16 inch drive shaft.

The Holley 1904 can be converted like the Autolite 1100 to a ported Vaccum source. Many newer carb's can also be used too with adapters to the stock intake or swapping the intake for one off the aftermarket intakes from Offy or Clifford. Cliford made an excellent 4V intake that you could also use a 2V carb on too. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks for the info, thinking of getting a Duraspark II for a 240-300 and an oil pump for the same. My dist has screw driver type
end that fits into the slot on the oil pump shaft. Will I still have to swap drive gears on dist?

Yes you will need to use the distributor drive gear off a 223 on the DuraSpark II. You will need to make a adapter from the 5/16 hex drive on the bottom of the DSII to the blade end of your old shaft. Or you can swap out the oil pump for a 1964 223 engine so it’s 5/16 hex on both ends. Good luck (y) :nod:

You got the slot pump driveshaft & distributor from a 215 in a 223 ???
I thought all factory 223's had the hex distributor shaft !
Unless you actually have a 215 in a '54 frame, but that wouldn't work because the motor mounts won't line up in a '54 frame.
In any case, the study I did a few years ago showed that using a 1968 thru 72 Ford truck 240ci distributor was the easiest swap. Don't remember all the details, but it had been discussed at length in older forum posts going back a few years. Try typing distrib swap in the forum search feature here.

Back