Thinking I'm going to need to rebuild my 223

Recently bought a 1959 F350 223. Was running when parked. While trying to get it started for the first time, I noticed it wasn't getting spark. The pressed on "nut" on the distributor shaft that opens and closes the points was loose. So I got a new distributor.

To put the new distributor in, I tried to find top dead center on cylinder one. Pulled the plug, put my thumb over the hole and tried to feel the compression stroke. Add I was spinning the motor, I could hear a hissing from the distributor hole. But I couldn't feel any compression from the plug hole. Went and got my compression tester. Got zero pressure from plug hole one. Haven't tried the other cylinders yet. Pulled the valve cover to see if a valve was sticking, and, from what I could tell, it didn't look like it.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm guessing I'll have to do a rebuild to get this truck running.

Anyone think there's anything else I should check before coming to this conclusion.

Check the valve lash settings first and then check compression of each cylinder so you can figure out why it was parked. You may be right that it needs a rebuild or at a minimum pulling the head for a valve job. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back